Unreal Engine 4.18 Released!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gameDNA studio View Post
    Final Gradle support! We highly recommend to switch to Gradle instead of Ant for all Android devs because it provides faster building times, better dependencies management, and simpler configuration!
    Are there any docs about how to set it up for UE4 ?

Comment

Why did you release it with compile errors? I got UE-51613 and another one in AutomationMode.cpp. I think you might be pushing these out too quickly.

Comment

So how do you actually use VS Code? Do you still have to install VS Community? Because I get errors that my VS Community 2015 is installed but missing the C++ toolchain. But in reality it was installed but I removed it and every part of it. (Well not the registry entries and not the user files probably, just used the uninstallers)

I tried creating a c++ project but with no luck, I tried creating a blueprint project, then set VS Code as editor and created a c++ Actor Class. It compiled the class but asked that it needs a full compile but it couldn't do that. Error code up above, basically the same.

Also I can't find how to use the "-vscode" option because I can't find how to generate project files from command line.

Comment

I've been porting my AR project from 4.17 to 4.18. Most of the time it was pretty straight forward, however I'm missing one vital node in 4.18 which is SetOrientationAndPosition introduced in AppleArKitCameraComponent in 4.17.

My question here is whether there'll be something similiar introduced in 4.18 or is there a way to make such a function for the time being, if yes, then any pointers on how to achieve that would be great.

Node in question:

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...arkit-418.html
          VR/AR Development [Portfolio | YouTube | LinkedIn]

Comment

Is it me or landscape sculpting has become slower now, can anyone confirm? Adding and removing foliage too.
            Last edited by AE_3DFX; 10-27-2017, 07:38 AM.
            tox.chat - Skype alternative
            blender.org - 3D suite

Comment

I'm unable to build the engine from source, release branch commit: dbced2dd59f9f5dfef1d7786fd67ad2970adf95f
              Windows 10 Pro, VS Community 2015

Code:
              Module.ShaderCacheTool.cpp
              41>C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\Mac\ShaderCacheTool\Private\ShaderCacheTool.cpp(66): error C2039: 'MergeShaderCacheFiles': is not a member of 'FShaderCache'
              41>  C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\ShaderCore\Public\ShaderCache.h(142): note: see declaration of 'FShaderCache'
              41>C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\Mac\ShaderCacheTool\Private\ShaderCacheTool.cpp(66): error C3861: 'MergeShaderCacheFiles': identifier not found
              41>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\ShaderCacheTool.exe
              41>  Total build time: 57,26 seconds (Local executor: 0,00 seconds)
              41>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(41,5): error MSB3075: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ShaderCacheTool Win64 Development -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.

Comment

Any news on when the hotfix will be released? Just trying to plan ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by infoLKA View Post
                  I'm unable to build the engine from source, release branch commit: dbced2dd59f9f5dfef1d7786fd67ad2970adf95f
                  Windows 10 Pro, VS Community 2015

Code:
                  Module.ShaderCacheTool.cpp
                  41>C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\Mac\ShaderCacheTool\Private\ShaderCacheTool.cpp(66): error C2039: 'MergeShaderCacheFiles': is not a member of 'FShaderCache'
                  41> C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Runtime\ShaderCore\Public\ShaderCache.h(142): note: see declaration of 'FShaderCache'
                  41>C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Source\Programs\Mac\ShaderCacheTool\Private\ShaderCacheTool.cpp(66): error C3861: 'MergeShaderCacheFiles': identifier not found
                  41>ERROR : UBT error : Failed to produce item: C:\UnrealEngine\Engine\Binaries\Win64\ShaderCacheTool.exe
                  41> Total build time: 57,26 seconds (Local executor: 0,00 seconds)
                  41>C:\Program Files (x86)\MSBuild\Microsoft.Cpp\v4.0\V140\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets(41,5): error MSB3075: The command "..\..\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat ShaderCacheTool Win64 Development -waitmutex" exited with code 5. Please verify that you have sufficient rights to run this command.
                  Only build the UE4 project. Don't do "Build Solution".
                  Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post

Only build the UE4 project. Don't do "Build Solution".
                    I know but I would like to have everything running fine as usual.

Comment

Originally posted by infoLKA View Post

I know but I would like to have everything running fine as usual.
                      It does run fine, technically. It's just that Mac Shader tool is now a part of that solution. I'm sure they'll get a fix to it, but I'm not sure you ever want to just blindly "Build Solution" on the entire engine.
                      Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

If I want Skylight on fog is shadowed properly - do I have to turn some new setting ON? Or do I have tu make SKYLIGHT stationary or movable to have Improved Static Skylight Directionality ON?
                        For Static / Stationary Skylight, shadowing on fog will now work out of the box due to the new Volumetric Lightmaps.

For Movable Skylight, shadowing on fog was already supported if you have Distance Field Ambient Occlusion enabled.

Comment

Very very impressive. Great VR times ahead. But this configuration of bounce lights and skylights will be documented? Or...can you share (please!) for example the file of the image above?
                          I don't think that scene is something we can redistribute, but you can find it somewhere in this thread:
                          https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...understandable

To setup emissive lighting, we just applied a bright emissive material to that one mesh, enabled bUseEmissiveForStaticLighting on the mesh, then set NumSkyLightingBounces to 10 in WorldSettings.

Note that emissive mesh lights tend to cause noisy lighting in Lightmass, which you can reduce by making the emissive area larger or jacking up IndirectLightingQuality.

Comment

Hi guys.
                            Can I use C # instead of C ++ code?

Comment

Originally posted by Shifty80 View Post
                              Hi guys.
                              Can I use C # instead of C ++ code?
                              No, but you could try blueprints

Comment

Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
                                A lot of love for limited Precomputed Lighting Scenarios. Dynamic Alternatives still do not support VR (yes high cost, but hardware never stops improving unless you're stuck on a console). The most promising 3rd party options either get abandoned or developed for a different engine.

Dynamic Worlds, including runtime terrain modification are coming to the engine in the not too distant future, would be nice if we had a dynamic lighting as well fleshed out as Precomputed. Even baking lightmaps at runtime (Using a dynamic system be it VXAO/GI or DFAO/GI) only for certain events would be an improvement. The performance of baked lighting with the option to go dynamic temporarily for major environment changes that pre-baking can't accommodate.
                                Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
                                Almost every update there is some cool new static lighting feature. Wish if dynamic lighting got this much love. Dynamic environments and lighting is the way of the future. Static environments with baked lighting is so last decade. Any plans for improved dynamic lighting quality and performance?
                                I completely agree, it hurts to see how Epic is still working on improving static baked lighting. Epic just needs more devs working on lighting and shadowing. Every dev-rendering merge to master I hope to find improvements to dynamic lighting and shadowing, but recently, it was mostly all just static lighting stuff (apart from the awesome vulkan improvements, thanks Rolando!).

It feels like Daniel is the only one working at lighting and shadows, so whenever he works on static lighting, 0 people are left for the dynamic side. If Epic would have at least 2 devs for lighting with one constantly working on dynamic lighting, that would already be a huge improvement. But I get that finding people with the skills of Daniel is very, very hard. I just hope Epic is really trying to.

Originally posted by Sadaleus View Post
                                Any chances for Vulkan for PC and Linux in 4.19?
                                Support for Vulkan is in 4.16, 4.17, and also 4.18. It gets improved a lot with every engine version. In 4.18, I couldn't see any differences between D3D11 and Vulkan any more, so Vulkan SM5 is working very well now regarding supported features. Just performence is still significantly below D3D11, so thats for 4.19 and 4.20. But you can already use Vulkan on Windows and Linux, even VR works with it now (SteamVR).

Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                                Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Working...
                                X