This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rbnzdave View Post

because the projects also use c#, I guess as helpers in the build chain. look for the cs files in a new c++ project.
    Lets see if Epic gets rid of that forced .NET requirement in far future and move to C++ based helpers.
    TOX - Set yourself free from Skype in future

Comment

We already did the switch on Preview-3 due to the addtion of new clothing tool which was a must-have for oue project. Though, on Visual Stuodi builds we get build errors, editor still open ups and works. Linux builds are fine. Keep up the good works Epic

Comment

Originally posted by AE_3DFX View Post

Lets see if Epic gets rid of that forced .NET requirement in far future and move to C++ based helpers.
        Why would they? There's no issue whatsoever with having those dependencies.

Comment

A lot of love for limited Precomputed Lighting Scenarios. Dynamic Alternatives still do not support VR (yes high cost, but hardware never stops improving unless you're stuck on a console). The most promising 3rd party options either get abandoned or developed for a different engine.

Dynamic Worlds, including runtime terrain modification are coming to the engine in the not too distant future, would be nice if we had a dynamic lighting as well fleshed out as Precomputed. Even baking lightmaps at runtime (Using a dynamic system be it VXAO/GI or DFAO/GI) only for certain events would be an improvement. The performance of baked lighting with the option to go dynamic temporarily for major environment changes that pre-baking can't accommodate.

Comment

Getting a big hit to frame rate with 4.18. getting less than 1/2 of what I get in previous builds of the engine. Even on an empty level the frame rate is lower

Comment

Any improvements to Alembic support? Curious as i'm having an issue with materials at moment (same Sam Deiter was having in the Intro to Alembic livestream, each object in an alembic file has its own material which means a presimulated destructible mesh has hundreds of individual material IDs

Also wanted to add Alembic Sequencer playback is wack.

Much <3 for 4.18 thanks for update
              Last edited by artoculon; 10-24-2017, 11:07 PM.
              vr and new media installations
              www.samuelwalker.xyz

Comment

Went to test new XGE shader compilation and ran into a problem: XGEControlWorker.exe didn't exist. Thankfully, the notes say it's just a duplicate of ShaderCompileWorker, so I just copied and renamed it. Then IncrediBuild could do its job.
                Freelancer Game Dev Generalist and Unreal Consultant | Portfolio
                Unreal products: Dynamic Picture Frames

Comment

thanks Epic ... now waiting for Lightmass over GPU!! [such as CUDA base] :]

Comment

Niagara is amazing!
                    But...I see no way to delete the particles. i.e. they have an age but no way to kill them once it's above certain limit. Any hints on that?
                    Twitter | Patreon | MinimalUI UE4 Editor Theme
                    Dark Themes for: Forum | AnswerHub | Everything else

Comment

Fantastic new features!

One question: I see that you finally enabled high DPI on the editor - looks much better now. However, I get 24 fps on a default level on a MacBook Pro late 2016 with Radeon Pro 460 - not the greatest GPU, I know, but, is this expected? It seems a bit low ...

Comment

Originally posted by rranon View Post
                        Fantastic new features!

One question: I see that you finally enabled high DPI on the editor - looks much better now. However, I get 24 fps on a default level on a MacBook Pro late 2016 with Radeon Pro 460 - not the greatest GPU, I know, but, is this expected? It seems a bit low ...
                        I have the same model as you and I am seeing ~47 fps on the 3rd person template when the editor is maximized on a 5K display and ~83 fps on the MBP internal display.

Do you still have low fps after logging out / restarting? I heard there was a problem with High Sierra where the dGPU won't be used after the computer has been asleep for a while, maybe you are seeing that?

Comment

I noticed that when I lunch 4.18 version it started to compiling shaders, before project with No starter content is even created ,that's never been the case in earlier versions, maybe on strong machines it is not big deal, but for me it is a problem :/

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	160.1 KB
ID:	1375090

Comment

Originally posted by TokyoBits View Post

I have the same model as you and I am seeing ~47 fps on the 3rd person template when the editor is maximized on a 5K display and ~83 fps on the MBP internal display.

Do you still have low fps after logging out / restarting? I heard there was a problem with High Sierra where the dGPU won't be used after the computer has been asleep for a while, maybe you are seeing that?
                            Hey, thanks for the hint!

I just restarted the machine, opened UE4, created a 3rd person project, and now, with maximised editor, I get ~90 fps - so it could be exactly the kind of problem you mentioned.
                            Good to know ...

Comment

• APEX Destruction has been moved to a plugin and is now disabled by default. To enable the plugin, use the Plugin Manager (Edit > Plugins > Physics).
                              This caused so many weird errors when opening the project. I think a better solution would have been to detect whether Destructible meshes are used and enable the plugin automatically.
                              My game: Wetwork
                              http://jcgames.lv

Comment

What's the difference between VS Code and the normal version? Can I replace VS community by it and make it work with UE4 the same way it does now? I installed VS 2015 because UE4 required it but I don't use it at all, if I can replace it by Code and get some extra disk space that'll be great.

And about this:
                                New: Google Sign In SDK for iOS/Android/PC has been integrated into the engine with OnlineSubsystemGoogle
                                If I package a game for Android and PC using Google OSS and Sign-In can I make PC and Android people play together (AKA cross-platform multiplayer)?
                                Doom E1M1 Remake with UE4 and Freedoom assets

Comment

Working...
                                X