Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• They should have used something like Atom/Sublime right? I didn't understand your explanation however

Comment

• Why not update ARKit plugin in 4.18p4? Where is the final offical ARKit Plugin? I mean not the Beta 0.1!
      Blueprint 'GetCurrentFrame' output nothing at all.
      And I never get Anchor object from HitTestAtScreenPosition_Tracking Space, even though 'Existing Plane Using Extent' selected and the result type of 'Existing Plane Using Extent' got.

Comment

• Why do people keep expecting this hot reload stuff to magically work? It's fairly obvious that it can't work with any moderately complex code, so I never even tried to use it.

Comment

• Originally posted by Zeblote View Post
          Why do people keep expecting this hot reload stuff to magically work? It's fairly obvious that it can't work with any moderately complex code, so I never even tried to use it.
          Because it used to work and now it is broken? I would not be so patronizing about others' simple code which you know nothing about. I already have a secondary custom hot loading dll system that pulls newly compiled video decoder code into the UE render thread. That is how I got proper video synching working in a couple of months where Epic's developers are still failing in years. You can chose to relaunch the editor and reload 10gb of assets and wait several minutes every time you insert a new field into your actor. I chose to do such "complex" things in seconds as I was able to before they were broken.

Comment

• Originally posted by OpenGLDev View Post
            Then why are they using Visual Studio Code. Isn't it a Microsoft product?
            VS Code is a significant departure from Microsoft tradition. It is open source. The original Visual Studio however is still the most professional development environment available with some of the top C++ developers on it, despite its many flaws. It is still one of the greatests threats to Apple's platform trying to win over developers.

I am all for VS Code working. But is it working? Is Intellisense as good for simple things like navigating to a definition? Is there Intellisense for HLSL?

Why break existing C++ tools and alienate all these developers before jumping ship to something unachieved and unproven?

Comment

• Originally posted by Büke View Post
              Destroying support for Visual Studio C++ seems to be another new goal for Apple/Epic. Since 4.15 C++ Hot Loading has been broken in "Final" releases. Compilations now take at least 3 times longer, with the UnrealHeaderTool recompiling unchanged headers for Hot Loading. This has been reported in detail for months.
              (
              I've noticed that as well..long compile times... Hopefully, that will get reviewed / fixed soon. I thought the new header system was supposed to reduce times?

teak
              "A little bit of nonsense now and then is cherished by the wisest men..."
              -- Willy Wonka

twitter: @teak421 -- Smooth Zoom Camera Plugin for 4.14+: here.

Comment

• Originally posted by Büke View Post

VS Code is a significant departure from Microsoft tradition. It is open source. The original Visual Studio however is still the most professional development environment available with some of the top C++ developers on it, despite its many flaws. It is still one of the greatests threats to Apple's platform trying to win over developers.

I am all for VS Code working. But is it working? Is Intellisense as good for simple things like navigating to a definition? Is there Intellisense for HLSL?

Why break existing C++ tools and alienate all these developers before jumping ship to something unachieved and unproven?
                I tried using VSCode some time ago, setting up the vscode settings file with the output of ue4 cmake generator.
                It was somewhat faster for browsing code, following a symbol definition worked most of the time, but wasn't as helpful as VS with Visual Assist X, so in the end was better for browsing but not so good for coding.

In the final release I will try it again, but I don't think that I would stay. There are some useful vscode features like multiselect and sort lines that are cool, but is hard to beat the VAX refactoring features.

On the other hand, VSCode could be a powerful IDE for people working with UE4 on linux
                BoteRock
                On3D Studios
                Quantum Replica: http://store.steampowered.com/app/47...antum_Replica/

Comment

• Originally posted by Matt_GrooveJones View Post
                  The Vive still appears to be broken in 4.18 Preview 4 (https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...he-vive-1.html)
                  If anyone else is still having this issue, check that your SteamVR is up to date. Only the very latest version (1.50) works with Preview 4, so if you've missed an update it won't recognize the headset.

Comment

• I am glad somebody found you a solution about the Vive and the driver.

Here is a quick workaround for avoiding the new 4.18 Editor Freeze with "Updating References" when editing Levels that are referenced by 2 other Levels, Sequences or other assets.

Instead of Deleting an Actor and triggering the Freeze, you can quickly drag it into any Sequence, "Convert to Spawnable", and delete it there! This uses one Bug to avoid another Bug. The new Soft/Cross Level Reference enforcement system in 4.18 is broken. It is triggered every time you Delete, Rename or Cut an Actor in a Level that is referenced by 2 other external assets. It is triggered even if you abort the dialog about reference updates, leading to an Editor Freeze and requiring a Force Close and lost work. The new trigger is supposed to update the external Soft References to the new name or deletion, but instead hangs when it encounters 2 of them. However, the Sequencer "Convert to Spawnable" has not yet implemented this trigger when it removes the actor, which is finally a useful bug!

Unfortunately, for Renaming the Actors, you have to resort to much slower Renaming the Referenced Level so it temporarily escapes this broken new system. You have to be careful Not to Save all the assets that will now get dirtied and updated with the new Level name. After your edits, you can save the edited Level, and be sure to use "Fix up Redirectors in Folder" in its folder, because there is a hidden link asset there now with the old name, and this will remove it. Then, you can rename it back to the old name. You can either Restart the Editor, or Asset Actions/Reload to restore all the dirtied assets from the temporary name.

It's all a big colossal mess, but such seems to be the future of Unreal development while a better engine comes along... :-(

AnswerHub has been no help whatsoever, just the usual deflection and ignorance even with simple clean steps and proven project samples. It looks like Epic is intent on another "Final" release while pretending to care about developers and bug reports. I can describe a dozen more bugs in detail and setup demo projects. But really, there is no point to the effort.

Comment

• Apologies if this is the wrong place to ask, but has anyone figured out how to get the iPhone's camera feed without going through the ARKit plugin? ARKit comes bundled with a bunch of other functionality (mainly, the camera movement) that I can't overwrite and ruins what I'm trying to accomplish, and I can't figure out how to pick it apart to get at just the camera. Does anyone have any ideas? It obviously should be somehow possible, since ARKit does it...

Comment

• OK, I see you can use VS code as the ide, but can you compile with it?
                        Check out my patreon, I'm really excited about it.
                        https://www.patreon.com/kinos141

Comment

• Originally posted by KinDaKreator View Post
                          OK, I see you can use VS code as the ide, but can you compile with it?
                          No as it does not include a compiler you will need to use MinGW - See below

https://code.visualstudio.com/docs/languages/cpp
                          Last edited by HeadClot; 10-13-2017, 01:03 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wilberolive View Post
                            Don't suppose someone from Epic can try out the sample project I've attached to this bug report that demonstrates the bug. Rudy took a look a while ago, but I don't think he actually tried out the sample project to understand the bug properly and now I think it has been forgotten about.
                            It's not a bug. If you don't actually add a return node for an output the last return node result will be used again.

You can replace your SwitchByEnum with an Enum == node (equaling "Yay! Good Value") connecting the bool output to the return node and you'll see that it works like it should because you're returning for every execution, true the first time and false every other time.

Comment

• Any chance you guys can fix HLODs for 4.18???

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...blevels-o.html

Comment

• Is it ready for releasing 4.18?

Comment

Working...
                                X