X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
    Nobody asked for your opinion
    Nobody asked for yours either, but this is a forum - and sharing opinions is what we do. Try to be nicer about it. Forum Rules

[02] Maintain a high level of professionalism. Be respectful to other members, and Epic Staff! It is our goal to create a clean forum for the discussion of Unreal Engine. Cursing, swearing, personal attacks or retaliations are not welcome here and will not be tolerated. Trolling, harassment, racist or threatening comments, obscene material or other intentionally annoying behavior is also unacceptable.
    Personally, I welcome many of these changes. In terms of your rather broad request to "improve render speed", Epic have been focusing on rendering performance since pre-4.10.

Comment

New physics optimizations by having PhysX tasks batched together to reduce overhead. This can be tuned with p.BatchPhysXTasksSize. Bigger batch sizes reduce per-task overhead at the cost of less parallelism.
      I am not entirely sure how I feel about this new console command as it stands currently. While batching is always nice and performance improvements are great, even turning this value to 0 (defaults to 1 then due to a Max call) the behavior of updating physics bodies is different than in 4.16 and previous engine versions.

I feel like this is a regression in intended behavior as you would think with the feature essentially turned off that it would behave as it did before (IE not batch or wait to send transform updates).

For instance, if you re-scale an object its physics body won't actually be changed until the batched commands go through, so you essentially have to wait a frame after setting scale3D to handle any logic that depends on the physics thread scale of the body.

This indirectly breaks any form of fast transform updates to a simulating object.

In 4.16 and before I was able to dynamically re-scale a simulating object while it was held with a PhysxConstraint, however in 4.17 it hitches badly with the same operation. I can directly alter transform on it with its BodyInstance and it has no such problem, however to get the game thread version to also update setting scale3D on it causes the batched physics change to also be called. There is no separate path to manually scaling the physics representation and the object itself due to the UpdateTransform function always being called from SetScale3D and always posting to the physics thread eventually overwriting manual changes to the PxRigidDynamic.

*Edit* It kind of feels like there is a body lock that doesn't go away until the actual update happens.

*Double Edit* Preview 3 appears to have fixed this....never mindddddd
      Last edited by mordentral; 07-27-2017, 05:13 PM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
      Advanced Sessions Plugin
      VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Why is the unreal engine updates so fast? I am still using 4.6 and I can get the same quality as 4.16 I do not need to update, it should be noted that some companies use unreal engine 3. clear example of Outlast 2

But I continued with the development guys do a good job.

Comment

Originally posted by josuetovar View Post
          Why is the unreal engine updates so fast? I am still using 4.6 and I can get the same quality as 4.16 I do not need to update, it should be noted that some companies use unreal engine 3. clear example of Outlast 2

But I continued with the development guys do a good job.
          4.6 is 3 years old. That's 3 years of features and bug fixes you're missing out on. If you don't need that - then more power to you.

UE3 is market battle tested and a cheaper license than UE4, so lots of companies go that route. IIRC the ArkSys folks specifically went with UE3 due to license costs.
          Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Originally posted by Kalle_H View Post
            Enable MSAA.
            Sorry I was actually talking about MSAA glitches, not Forward Rendering glitches in VR.
            Is there any work around to fix noAA at all on the edges in MSAA? It's technically not ready for production because the amount of noise it's producing looks terrible, I'm very confused when Epic talking about MSAA as VR solution. I would agree to it if there AA on the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
              UE3 is market battle tested and a cheaper license than UE4, so lots of companies go that route. IIRC the ArkSys folks specifically went with UE3 due to license costs.
              GGXrd was released the same year as UE4 so they had already developed it in UE3. Their new game Dragon Ball FighterZ is being done in UE4.

Comment

Originally posted by ExtraLifeMatt View Post
                Nope. You had to pay flat fee like $500,000 or share your profits. But it wasn't just 5%. It was really expensive for small studios. Can't share any details, IIRC there was never official statement on it, just "stories and rumours".
                I don't think a lot companies see advantages of using prev-gen engine, especially if they develop new IP.
                Last edited by Moth Doctor; 07-25-2017, 02:09 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by kjustynski View Post
                  Nope. You had to pay flat fee like $500,000 or share your profits. But it wasn't just 5%. It was really expensive for small studios. Can't share any details, IIRC there was never official statement on it, just "stories and rumours".
                  I don't think a lot companies see advantages of using prev-gen engine, especially if they develop new IP.
                  Yea, that's a cheaper flat license than UE4.
                  Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

The tightening up of C++ specifier usage by UHT is great in general, but I feel like the following is an oversight:
                    Error: Cannot expose property to blueprints in a struct that is not a BlueprintType.
                    I have lots of cases where I define base USTRUCTs with various common properties that should be exposed, but the base struct itself is never meant to be instantiated, it's inherited by other USTRUCTs which are marked BlueprintType. Unless I'm missing something, this change means all such base structs have to be made available in Blueprint, cluttering up dropdowns and context menus with types that should never be used.

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
                      Nobody asked for yours either, but this is a forum - and sharing opinions is what we do.
                      I hate to break it to you but yes they did. This is a feedback threat for the 4.17 preview and I gave my feedback. So you are wrong.
                      As for the rest, i state it here once and then this threat is muted for me, so don't bother answering because I won't get into a mudfight in any forum anymore and furthermore this thread is not meant for this discussion, but since that other user has chosen to bring his insults up in public, I will also address it here in public, although I much prefer to keep these kinds of discussions private: I have made a valid comment about the scope of Epics updates in the last two versions. Nothing, absolutely nothing is there that you can use unless you have top graphic artists to utilize your stuff or a high level understanding of 3D graphic and render techniques. If I had that, I would perhaps write my own render engine. Since I can't do that, I use Epic's.
                      The other poster basically told me :You are too stupid to understand the great things Epic is adding, so bring your stupid little brain up to my level, then you can appreciate the new features like I do and you will forget about minor stuff like problems with too large a foliage paint area and splitting up the foliage mesh" which is a problem that exists with all large outdoor maps by the way. THAT would be something everybody could benefit from who creates large outdoor scenes.

But no, instead of addressing my valid suggestion that guy chose to insult me. Coincidentally YOU choose to chastise me for telling him that did not ask him for an opinion on my mental capabilities but was making two valid suggestions instead. I was not belittling Epic's work, nor was I insulting the guy in any way like was he insulted me. I merely told him that I was not interested in his uncalled for opinion. In your view, that is the offense here, not the fact that he suggested that I was stupid? Fine moderator you are then.

I have often noticed that people don't like when you tell them the truth, coincidentally oftentimes in forums of 3D engines I worked with in the past (and yes I am not a noob to using 3D engines). My experience with Irrlicht, Ogre and the C4 engine forums, in that order, was this: People laud the creator into the heavens and compete with each other about giving compliments. Then I point out certain flaws in their engines that need to be addressed and then there are some members (not the owners or moderators in all of those cases, regular players, just like here) who want to become the top apple polisher who attack me for not giving praise to their master's divine creation. So yeah, the pattern here fits exactly in my experience which is why I usually don't comment here and don't visit the forum. And that's exactly what I'm going to do again from now on, because I realize that it's not the truth that matters but blind praise.

Go ahead close my forum account, in fact I would appreciate it since I can't find an option here to do that, looks like the forum has no such control options.
                      Last edited by Wallenstein; 07-25-2017, 07:49 PM.

Comment

If you had given your feedback without the snide first and last sentence (e.g. stick to "nothing for me here, will wait and stick with my current version"), no one would have had a problem with it. For what it's worth, I don't have much here that helps me either, but I need to wait for console-specific release notes to come out. I'll wait to upgrade to the final 4.17 for performance reasons, if nothing else.

And as an actual Ph.D. here, my response to you can be summed up like this :P
                        PouncingKitten Games, LLC
                        http://www.pouncingkitten.com

Comment

What's the ETA on the stable 4.17 release?

Comment

what is "Facial Animation Bulk Importer" plugin?.can anyone explains what is it? and how to use it?
                            what about this new feature? :
                            "Baking out materials on StaticMesh instances is now supported.
                            Support for baking out materials on a Static or Skeletal Mesh asset is also added as an experimental feature (requires enabling the Asset Material Baking under Experimental settings)."

Comment

Originally posted by Arnage View Post
                              Can a plugin based shader interact with the material editor at all? I was looking into whether I could port my toon shading model to a plugin with this, but sadly it seems impossible to do so with the current implementation.
                              Can someone please answer this dude's question? He's already been ignored for like almost 2 years now as is.

Comment

G'day guys.

Please keep posts professional and on topic.
                                If you have feedback or questions about something not directly related to the 4.17 preview, please post it in the appropriate area.

Thank you!
                                Rule#21: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

Comment

Working...
                                X