Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.17 Preview

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Well, congrats. I guess any of that stuff sounds good if you have a PhD in IT and a doctor degree in physics and 3D vizualistion. For me though it looks like there is nothing in the update I understand nor need, just like in 4.16 so I'm going to stick with 4.15 until there is a new feature coming out like "improved renderspeed" or "better handling of instantiated foliage to avoid errormessages like lightmap too samll or too many plants in the level". You know, bread and butter stuff for bread and butter indie developers.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Marc Audy View Post
      If you want to mark the type BlueprintType in your local build you should be able to continue using it, but I would be interested in the context that you are using them and how you would expect them to work from blueprints?
      I don't actually use them from inside blueprints, but from inside a C++ plugin.
      Basically, they're part of a(n U)struct that's part of an UDataAsset, and if the members of the struct are not a UPROPERTY, they aren't serialized correctly, which is now... a problem, since it won't compile if the FRichCurve is marked as a UPROPERTY.

      Just adjusting a local source code build to allow them to be a UPROPERTY wouldn't really help, since the idea is to offer this to other people as well.
      Last edited by turfster; 07-22-2017, 09:48 PM.
      Creator of

      and also

      Comment


        Originally posted by turfster View Post
        I don't actually use them from inside blueprints, but from inside a C++ plugin.
        Basically, they're part of a(n U)struct that's part of an UDataAsset, and if the members of the struct are not a UPROPERTY, they aren't serialized correctly, which is now... a problem, since it won't compile if the FRichCurve is marked as a UPROPERTY.
        What does your struct/property declaration look like? You should be able to mark something UPROPERTY() without any blueprint access specifiers, and it will serialize. This should be possible within a BlueprintType struct too, it just won't expose that particular property to blueprint. Pretty sure if you get that error without having marked the property itself as blueprint accessible, then that's an engine bug.

        Comment


          Un-usable 3D widget performance problem on GearVR in 4.17:

          https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...in-417-pr.html

          Hoping that can get fixed / get documented workaround before release!
          Headgear - VR/AR solutions

          Comment


            Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
            Well, congrats. I guess any of that stuff sounds good if you have a PhD in IT and a doctor degree in physics and 3D vizualistion. For me though it looks like there is nothing in the update I understand nor need, just like in 4.16 so I'm going to stick with 4.15 until there is a new feature coming out like "improved renderspeed" or "better handling of instantiated foliage to avoid errormessages like lightmap too samll or too many plants in the level". You know, bread and butter stuff for bread and butter indie developers.
            This is a preview for people who know what they do. If you need a polished up version of all the larger changes, wait for the official release! Otherwise, go and improve on your bread and butter indie dev knowledge, as it is even more important for you than it is for larger companies. Concerning the listed new features, it's meant for knowledgable people to test and try. I wouldn't count me in for some of this, too, but I dont need to rant about it either. If you got time, just download the preview, check if your current project runs without problems and behaves the same. If not, go and submit a bug report. That would be a good thing for the community, too, instead of ranting about a detailed feature list with technical terms.
            Guido Lein
            Technical Artist - LeFx www.lefx.de

            Comment


              Originally posted by kamrann View Post
              What does your struct/property declaration look like? You should be able to mark something UPROPERTY() without any blueprint access specifiers, and it will serialize.
              You're right. Totally forgot about that. Thanks.
              Creator of

              and also

              Comment


                Originally posted by Kalle-H View Post
                It's engine feature. Other is affecting realtime shadows and other is affecting lightmass area shadows.
                Yeah, I know. And it is indeed odd that it has two different parameters, but I can only imagine that it's to account for the fact that the PCSS penumbra size doesn't correspond perfectly to the lightmass version (even with adjustments to the max kernel radius).

                Comment


                  This bug has been around for a long time appearantly, but it's so small you can probably get it in 4.17

                  https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...be-32-bit.html

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Michael Noland View Post
                    We use it in Fortnite and Battle Breakers, which use .pak files. Could you elaborate on the problems you're having?

                    Cheers,
                    Michael Noland
                    really?That's great! Is there any code document in details?
                    My problem is I can use LoadObject<> to load obj in my path, but I can't get anythis in this path by using UAssetManager.
                    The load-way I used is just PDF docment shows.
                    One more question , the assets I load from paks always get UV problem, can you give me some guidance?Please.

                    Comment


                      Any idea when we will the Clear Coat Shader function being added to the Forward Renderer? I have project that heavily relies on this.

                      Comment


                        How to use "Spectator Screen" option to record VR session?

                        Comment


                          I'm very in hope Epic going to fix AA issue with Forward Rendering in VR, there is no AA on edges and each object going to have sharp flickery edges around the object and there is no way to get rid of it.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by LeFxGuy View Post
                            This is a preview for people who know what they do. If you need a polished up version of all the larger changes, wait for the official release! Otherwise, go and improve on your bread and butter indie dev knowledge, as it is even more important for you than it is for larger companies. Concerning the listed new features, it's meant for knowledgable people to test and try. I wouldn't count me in for some of this, too, but I dont need to rant about it either. If you got time, just download the preview, check if your current project runs without problems and behaves the same. If not, go and submit a bug report. That would be a good thing for the community, too, instead of ranting about a detailed feature list with technical terms.

                            Nobody asked for your opinion

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by SAMBUEV View Post
                              I'm very in hope Epic going to fix AA issue with Forward Rendering in VR, there is no AA on edges and each object going to have sharp flickery edges around the object and there is no way to get rid of it.
                              Enable MSAA.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Wallenstein View Post
                                Well, congrats. I guess any of that stuff sounds good if you have a PhD in IT and a doctor degree in physics and 3D vizualistion. For me though it looks like there is nothing in the update I understand nor need, just like in 4.16 so I'm going to stick with 4.15 until there is a new feature coming out like "improved renderspeed" or "better handling of instantiated foliage to avoid errormessages like lightmap too samll or too many plants in the level". You know, bread and butter stuff for bread and butter indie developers.
                                With all due respect, not all indie developers are new to game development, and a detailed changelog like the one we have now is very much welcome for those who already work with the engine.

                                If there is nothing in the log that you understand, it simply means that there is no change that will impact you, and you can skip this version.
                                Helium Rain, a realistic space opera

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X