Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The "Fog cutoff distance" does not seem to work correctly with the volumetric fog, once you are below a certain Z height everything becomes fogged, no matter what the cutoff distance is:

Is that a bug?
    Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
    Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

I find it quite hard to get good results with the volumetric fog outdoors. It looks nice, but I kinda hoped it could replace screen space light shafts. Its basically impossible though to get nice light shafts without having everything be really fogged.

Everything looks quite washed out when you have the volumetric fog enabled. If you want to get any relevant light shafts, you need to increase the fog density so much that you won't see any sky any more, the sky will just be a uniform white (the fog color), like you see in the gif above.

Something like this (screen space lightshaft) is not possible with the new volumetric fog it seems:

I guess it would have been too nice if it would have looked as good as the screen space light shafts, without the limitation of being a screen space effect that disappears when looking in a different direction.
      Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
      Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Originally posted by kgamble View Post
        Converted a fresh checkout of my project to 4.16 and I can't get it to compile. All the *.generated.h files spit out a bunch of "#define syntax" errors around various defines, eg
        Code:
        #define 4_16_Source_EloHell_EchoStar_Actors_EloHellAIController_h_13_RPC_WRAPPERS \
        \
        	DECLARE_FUNCTION(execGetUnit) \
        	{ \
        		P_FINISH; \
        		P_NATIVE_BEGIN; \
        		*(ABaseUnit**)Z_Param__Result=this->GetUnit(); \
        		P_NATIVE_END; \
        	}
        Any idea what the issue might be?

At 17796 errors it's definitely one of the larger number of errors I've encountered but having several errors in every single header will do that.
        Did you previously use 4.15? There were a large amount of header changes that came with 4.15, so if you haven't updated your project to work with that - you'll have to do it with 4.16.

Likely your header file is missing the following includes:

Code:
        #include "UObject/ObjectMacros.h"
        #include "UObject/ScriptMacros.h"
        Able Ability System - A high performance, robust ability system for UE4. Now Available!

Comment

Can we have fog and volumetric at the same time ? I can't find anything to keep the fog enabled.

Can we have volumetric effect without enabling the light ? Maybe with particules ?

It will be possible to chose a shape for the volumetric source (area shape for example) ? Or something to avoid "point" source, an offset of it maybe ?

Volumetric don't seems to be affected by the Source Radius, I'm not sure it was intended, Source Length works.

It will be very cool to have the ability to disable the source brightness btw, if I have a light saber to do it's cool, but I usualy have my own models and emissives.

Tweak the shape of the volumetric with a spot light independently of the Inner Cone Angle and Outer Cone Angle coulde be very nice as well.

Cheers !
          CG Artist for StarGate Network

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
            I find it quite hard to get good results with the volumetric fog outdoors. It looks nice, but I kinda hoped it could replace screen space light shafts. Its basically impossible though to get nice light shafts without having everything be really fogged.

Everything looks quite washed out when you have the volumetric fog enabled. If you want to get any relevant light shafts, you need to increase the fog density so much that you won't see any sky any more, the sky will just be a uniform white (the fog color), like you see in the gif above.

Something like this (screen space lightshaft) is not possible with the new volumetric fog it seems:

I guess it would have been too nice if it would have looked as good as the screen space light shafts, without the limitation of being a screen space effect that disappears when looking in a different direction.
            I'm curious if volumetric fog is mostly setup to work for realistic scenarios. Typically light shafts exist only where these is fog, dust, or haze. Also post processing/tone mapping settings might help a bit foggy look.

Comment

Doubled the garbage collection speed? Well done!
              Twitter | Twitch | Instagram

Comment

The new volume fog with particles is great, perfect timing with my galaxy stuff.

Comment

Woohoo awesome sauce!

Comment

I hoped the animation tools (edit animations inside unreal) would be added in 4.16.. Is it 4.17 then?

Comment

Someone made a great suggestion for the particle volume fog on discord, how hard would it be for you guys to add the ability for particles to subtract from fog density as well as add?

Comment

I gave up hope for Volumetric Lighting in UE.
                        You guys never fail to amaze me. Thank you guys

Comment

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post

It's doable using Nvidia volumetric lighting.
                          I agree though. Build in solution needs to be less physically accurate and more controllable.
                          https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

Comment

Any news on these ones?
                            https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ck-broken.html
                            https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...cer-movie.html

Comment

Great update as always!
                              Thanks Epic!

Comment

Originally posted by hippowombat View Post
                                Distance field improvements and volumetric fog, I can't express my gratitude in words, you guys are too good to me. <3 <3 <3
                                I can't tell you how long I've been waiting for proper volumetric fog support to come to UE4 and couldn't be happier

Originally posted by ioFlow Studios View Post
                                Someone made a great suggestion for the particle volume fog on discord, how hard would it be for you guys to add the ability for particles to subtract from fog density as well as add?
                                NOW YOU'RE THINKING WITH PORTALS!

But seriously what a brilliant suggestion as think of the endless possibilities that open up if such a feature were to be made available :O
                                Regards,
                                Benjamin D. Smith

Founder & CEO | Binary Sword Pty Ltd
                                Currently working on: ODIN Tracker (UE4 Plugin)

Comment

Working...
                                X