Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unreal Engine 4.16 Preview

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
    Hi drunkenmaster!

    Totally agree! [MENTION=36447]Minus_Kelvin[/MENTION] may wish to expand on this, but I can say we already have streaming on Windows and PS4 and more platforms are currently in the works--including mobile platforms!
    Yes, audio streaming is working on all platforms (finally). I sorta didn't want to trumpet it since it really should have been supported ages ago.

    We're using audio streaming currently on our internal projects and I recently spent a few weeks fixing a ton of random threading bugs (due to collisions with a new Asynchronous IO system, the audio thread, and the audio rendering thread). It's *still* technically only visible in the "experimental" options in the editor, but at this point, mostly because I forgot to just make it visible for 4.16. I'll make a JIRA so I don't forget for 4.17.

    Comment


      Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
      Hi drunkenmaster!

      Totally agree! [MENTION=36447]Minus_Kelvin[/MENTION] may wish to expand on this, but I can say we already have streaming on Windows and PS4 and more platforms are currently in the works--including mobile platforms!
      This is wonderful news! Thank you so much, and for putting together all the great demos for the livestream and GDC talk. They did a great job showing off the new features and were fun to watch. (shameless request: I'd totally be interested in that demo project which was the UMG interface for a modular synth - if for nothing else than as a kind of interactive documentation of all the new synthesis features).

      Originally posted by Minus_Kelvin View Post
      Yes, audio streaming is working on all platforms (finally). I sorta didn't want to trumpet it since it really should have been supported ages ago.

      We're using audio streaming currently on our internal projects and I recently spent a few weeks fixing a ton of random threading bugs (due to collisions with a new Asynchronous IO system, the audio thread, and the audio rendering thread). It's *still* technically only visible in the "experimental" options in the editor, but at this point, mostly because I forgot to just make it visible for 4.16. I'll make a JIRA so I don't forget for 4.17.
      Oh that is great news!! That's huge, really, even if we need to wait for 4.17. All in all, this new audio engine is a great update and I'm sure it's the result of a lot of hard work so thanks again!

      Comment


        Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
        YES! Awesome!

        Osc Frequency Mod modulates the frequency from the base value of the designated Oscillator (and there are two, Osc 0 and Osc 1).

        For my 4.15 Audio Engine Sneak Peek (the February stream), I demonstrated a synth where I altered the frequency of 8 oscillators (4 Modular Synths) to get that rich movie theater logo sound.
        Im SO gonna watch that stream... im affraid i missed it. You happen to know where i can read up on what the parameters do and how they work? I assume there's mapping to some MIDI stuff happening behind the scene? (sorry im total noob with Synth stuff, just saw it and thought it was super cool). Got so excited about it that i totally forgot what i was working on lol

        Comment


          Originally posted by Jonas_Molgaard View Post
          Im SO gonna watch that stream... im affraid i missed it. You happen to know where i can read up on what the parameters do and how they work? I assume there's mapping to some MIDI stuff happening behind the scene? (sorry im total noob with Synth stuff, just saw it and thought it was super cool). Got so excited about it that i totally forgot what i was working on lol
          Searching the net for introductions to subtractive synthesis is probably a good start. It's a technique that has been around for very many decades now with gazillions of examples so there should be plenty of info.

          I dont have a great guide handy and the wikipedia page on the subject is rather brief but I will post a link to it anyway. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Subtractive_synthesis

          edited to add that there are also very many youtube videos introducing subtractive synthesis. It doesnt matter that much which hardware or software synths they use to demonstrate the concepts, the knowledge is still highly applicable to the new stuff in 4.16

          Just one example: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqFWIdTFF3U
          Last edited by SteveElbows; 04-28-2017, 06:45 AM.

          Comment


            Also worth noting there is a thread for the new audio engine that started back in march. As the thread goes on some useful info & screenshots start to emerge. eg manipulating Source Effects using blueprints.

            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Engine-thread

            Comment


              Concerning the new "Unified Console Commands across VR platforms" feature ... the old "HMD mirror mode" and other commands are now deprecated. Could you please give a brief overview over new commands and parameters? I'd like to have a 1920x1080 single-eye fullscreen mirror for use with HTC Vive.

              Comment


                I'm playing with the new FFT bloom. Everything looks really blurry and none of the bloom settings seem enabled. How are you supposed to use it properly?

                Comment


                  OMG I have been waiting for this sound engine for 2 years, its the whole reason I learned UE to begin with! I am buying HTC Vive tomorrow and looking forward to delve into the next frontier of music and sound generating.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by iamjustagamer75 View Post
                    Seriously still no fix for this issue https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-42280

                    Ive not been able to use anything beyond 4.13.2 because of this issue.

                    What gives epic???

                    I would say its my old gtx 560ti, if it wasn't still an issue on a gtx 1060..........
                    Are you by chance using either widget components or shaders using "Pixel Depth offset"? I just found an issue that causes the driver to hang like this and recently submitted repros to both to Epic and NVidia.
                    Programmer at Klang Games | Ex-CCP (EVE Valkyrie / Sparc) | @SiggiGG
                    Check out my procedural mesh examples

                    Comment


                      I use a widget compo on my characters for a health bar, but that aint it I don't think, there is a post above where I listed what crashes it.
                      Come Join Me On Patreon : https://www.patreon.com/iamjohngalt75 Or Visit Me On Youtube : https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpu...wyusqni1ZnWdBQ

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by iamjustagamer75 View Post
                        I use a widget compo on my characters for a health bar, but that aint it I don't think, there is a post above where I listed what crashes it.
                        Yeah probably unrelated to what I found even though end result is the same.
                        Programmer at Klang Games | Ex-CCP (EVE Valkyrie / Sparc) | @SiggiGG
                        Check out my procedural mesh examples

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
                          So the steam audio occlusion uses a OBJ mesh? That would be nice, creating a OBJ from the mesh shouldn't be a problem, unless it needs to be setup in some specific way, like if the mesh is required to be convex.
                          Hey John,

                          We export an OBJ, but the .phononscene is the file that is used for occlusion and reverb. The OBJ file is more of a convenience thing in case you want to verify the geometry. Also, we don't make any assumptions on geometry - we operate on triangle soup.
                          Last edited by freeman-valve; 04-29-2017, 12:55 AM.

                          Comment


                            [MENTION=524867]dan.reynolds[/MENTION]
                            when i run UHT in vs2017.it come up with an error msg in output window like" Unable to find field 'ExternalDependenciesFile' in '{manifest root}".
                            i saw it was trouble by this code :GetJsonFieldValue(Result.ExternalDependenciesFile, RootObject, TEXT("ExternalDependenciesFile"), TEXT("{manifest root}"));
                            and UHT quit.how can i solve this problem. thanks.
                            Last edited by 星河微尘; 04-29-2017, 09:57 AM.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by 星河微尘 View Post
                              when i run UHT in vs2017.it come up with an error msg in output window like" Unable to find field 'ExternalDependenciesFile' in '{manifest root}".
                              i saw it was trouble by this code :GetJsonFieldValue(Result.ExternalDependenciesFile, RootObject, TEXT("ExternalDependenciesFile"), TEXT("{manifest root}"));
                              and UHT quit.how can i solve this problem. thanks.
                              @ben-marsh
                              do i need to put a key-value in UHTDebugging.manifest file? or some other way to do with it.
                              Last edited by 星河微尘; 04-29-2017, 10:03 AM.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
                                Hiya TheJamsh,

                                There are a few steps involved in setting up an envelope follower, but once you have it, you can do whatever you want with the data; whether that's feeding scalar values in a Material Instance or driving some other game parameter!

                                Once created, you'll want to attach it to your source sound like so:
                                [ATTACH=CONFIG]138824[/ATTACH]
                                What do you need to do if you want to use the overall sound mix you hear or from a particular plugin like the web browser for example?

                                Im trying to take the audio from the web browser plugin and have that affect a material.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X