This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    I would like developers to make a correctly working plug-in to work with joysticks. If this engine can do fighting games, then it should be possible to connect 2 or more joysticks at the same time. And preferably with vibration. We will hope that this will be heard.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The new audio system (I did enable it in the ini) seems particularly bad for a modern engine, there is no spatialisation or audio occlusion (that works). I really like the other improvements though good job!
    Last edited by Chaoss; 04-26-2017, 07:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello,
    I just played a little with the SplineIk and and am noticing some un-expected behaviour.
    I made a separate post over in 'Animation' about it. https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...339#post700339

Cheers, Fred

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When packing a mobile project, I get this

Can't make an APK without API 'android-23' minimum installed

I installed the CodeWorksforAndroid-1R5-windows.exe that was in the directory no luck

this was working in 4.15 what to do? thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by DamirH View Post
    Hey [MENTION=524867]dan.reynolds[/MENTION], just a quick question - would it be advisable for a project that is entering full-scale production that is estimated to take almost 2 years in about 3 months to start with the new audio features? No extensive audio work has been done yet and I believe that by the time we start extensive audio work the new engine will be production ready.
    Great question! The nice thing is that it's very easy to move back and forth between the two audio engines currently.

You can simply activate it on launch with "-audiomixer" in your commandline.

We expect the new Audio Engine to become default once we've finalized the design and all of the back-end implementations are complete.

At the very least, I think it would be a good idea for you to play around with the new features to get a handle on the direction Aaron and the team is taking this new engine. This will help inform your decisions moving forward with your own games' audio design vision and how useful the new Audio Engine will be for your project.

The new features we've already shown off are very powerful, but they're also quite flashy and don't come for free.

As we refine the features and direction of the new Audio Engine, we may introduce new paradigms for traditional workflows that could prove incompatible with the old approaches, though it's difficult to say for sure--there are definitely a lot of legacy features we have our eye on improving or replacing with more streamlined systems or approaches.

However, nothing is quite set in stone--the design is fluid, and this is why we're currently keeping the new Audio Engine as experimental/early access.

I can't comment specifically to timelines (because I'm not completely sure), though we are eager to switch over.

Until then, I recommend experimenting yourself--get a feel for what we're starting to do, and decide what will be useful for your project.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I posted a new thread to talk about Volumetric Fog here:
    https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...eedback-thread

I will post some replies there.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey [MENTION=524867]dan.reynolds[/MENTION], just a quick question - would it be advisable for a project that is entering full-scale production that is estimated to take almost 2 years in about 3 months to start with the new audio features? No extensive audio work has been done yet and I believe that by the time we start extensive audio work the new engine will be production ready.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    Does that only affect your plugin, or is that a general fix so that anyone using UE4 with git lfs benefits from that, without having to use your plugin?

Is it possible to update to the newest version manually, like simply updating the SDK to the newer version, or do those "several months worth of fixes" depend on things in UE4 that don't exist yet in 4.16?
    Updating to the latest SDK would fix a few of the issues in this release (baking multiple sources being the biggest one that comes to mind), but the plugin changes require updates to the engine.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome timing for the Spline IK!
    I was thinking of trying to hack together something based on UE splines but now I can go and have a coffee instead!
    Excited to try it out.

Cheers
    Fred

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by SRombauts View Post
    - UE-34539: (Bugfix) Allow binary files in git stored via git-fat, git-lfs, etc to be diffed (take 2) #3253
    Does that only affect your plugin, or is that a general fix so that anyone using UE4 with git lfs benefits from that, without having to use your plugin?

Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
    Just to be clear, this is an experimental version of the plugin that we put together at GDC. We've put in several months worth of fixes and such that weren't able to make it out in time for 4.16.
    Is it possible to update to the newest version manually, like simply updating the SDK to the newer version, or do those "several months worth of fixes" depend on things in UE4 that don't exist yet in 4.16?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Here's the quickest way to get started with the Synth:

Add a Modular Synth Component to your actor
    Click image for larger version

Name:	synth_quick_tut_01.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	1126917

Set your Preset--there is a default preset that sounds pretty good, but what I like doing is making a public variable that I can customize with a details panel:

Name:	synth_quick_tut_02.JPG
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	1126918

Name:	synth_quick_tut_03.JPG
Size:	15.3 KB
ID:	1126919

There are a LOT of awesome parameters, as well as a modular patch system at the end:

Name:	synth_quick_tut_04.JPG
Size:	93.5 KB
ID:	1126920

There are also Blueprint setters for setting individual parameters if you want to do real-time modulation--you can also create Presets within the Modular Synth Preset Bank Asset, which you can break-out as well.

Once you've initialized the sound you want, you can activate the sound with the Note On function:

Name:	synth_quick_tut_05.JPG
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	1126921

Note value is a MIDI note value (60 is middle C), but it's float, so you can 'tween if you like.

Velocity is a MIDI value which does volume scale by default--but if you have a non-negative value, it will automatically shut itself off after that many seconds.

Duration is -1.0 by default, if you set it to -1.0 it will sustain until you call Note Off on the SAME note (as it has a polyphonic voice manager).

Name:	synth_quick_tut_06.JPG
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	1126922

Here you can see, I've a delay to create a similar situation.

The possibilities are limitless when paired with BP logic--we're looking forward to what all you synth cats come up with!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by freeman_valve View Post
    Hey guys,

Just to be clear, this is an experimental version of the plugin that we put together at GDC. We've put in several months worth of fixes and such that weren't able to make it out in time for 4.16. Feel free to play around with the plugin as Dan outlined, but be aware that a much more stable version will be shipping with 4.17 that includes extensive documentation. Once the 4.17 version ships, we will be providing support over at our forums, and can answer any questions you guys have.
    Thanks for the clarification. Really appreciate your work on this. It's just hard to not want to jump in when I've been waiting for something like this for so long.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks Dan,

Note that Steam Audio plugin depends fundamentally on new capabilities in the *new* audio engine, so you'll need to run with that enabled if you want to see Steam Audio editor extensions and features. The same is true of the synthesis plugin or Sound Utilities plugin. I wrote code to specifically hide new functionality from sound waves, etc, if the audio engine isn't enabled. Note that the Synthesis plugin will be where source and submix effects are written, and new synthesizers. The Sound Utilities plugin will be where I implement utility-like features and BP-type applications (e.g. utilities for constructing interactive music and dynamic ambience, etc).

See the release notes for specifics on how to enable the new audio engine (you have to either launch with -audiomixer or modify an engine .ini file).

Note that the new Steam Audio plugin integrates deeply with the audio pipeline as we were able to collaborate on how to better integrate Steam Audio (and also other third party audio plugins) to the UE4 audio workflow so it might not be exactly the same as it was in the past. For example, adding the ability for Steam to define their own settings data layout, but still be able to plug those settings into the standard UE4 spatialization definition implementation pipeline. We also streamlined getting access to source and listener data for the plugin.

Unfortunately there's not a huge amount of documentation (or barely any) for any of the new audio engine stuff as we've been almost exclusively focused on making sure what is there is working (specifically for 4.16 audio engine features). We're also not fully finished with all the platforms so don't want to enable things without there being full platform support.

RE: Android/iOS/Switch support for the new audio mixer. I didn't write these backends so there are some issues I need to fix before it's fully utilizable. Apologies for those excited about android audio *finally* having full feature support in UE4. It's close, but needs some love and attention. I'm literally working on Android right now to attempt to fix some of the obvious buffer underrun issues (I suspect it's because the mix function is being called synchronous to the audio output stream buffer callback).

Thanks everybody for being patient with us as we transition to using a totally new audio engine back end.

In fact, since there's not a lot of documentation currently, I'd be super grateful for anybody who posts some stuff to these forums/wikis with how-to's as you discover things We'll be trying to post blogs/tutorials/live-streams in the coming weeks on how-to's on new audio engine systems shouldn't change by 4.17 (e.g. how to use the synths, DSP effects, etc).
    Last edited by Minus_Kelvin; 04-26-2017, 05:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey guys,

Just to be clear, this is an experimental version of the plugin that we put together at GDC. We've put in several months worth of fixes and such that weren't able to make it out in time for 4.16. Feel free to play around with the plugin as Dan outlined, but be aware that a much more stable version will be shipping with 4.16 preview 2 that includes extensive documentation. Once the preview 2 version ships, we will be providing support over at our forums, and can answer any questions you guys have.

Update:
    Check out the docs, here: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/ste...2.0-beta.3.pdf
    Feel free to mosey over to our forums here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/596420/discussions/
    Check out known issues and file new ones on our GitHub: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/steam-audio/issues
    Last edited by freeman_valve; 05-02-2017, 07:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Oooh new audio

Leave a comment:

Working...
X