X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Niiiiice norulex

Comment

Originally posted by reok View Post
      Will there be Auto-LOD for skeletal meshes as well?
      We do want to do this, but we have not had a chance to tackle it yet I'm afraid.
      Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
      Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

As for the new Audio Engine, I noticed in Aaron's demo at GDC he was using an envelope to drive materials.

Are there new Material Nodes available for this or is this purely a Blueprint/C++ implementation? I made a frequency spectrum analyzer in 4.15 with C++, but it relies on storing compressed bulk data of the original .wav as an asset. Being able to read from sound-cues in real time would be nice!

EDIT: Totally gonna abuse the volumetric particle feature... Can these special particles also be driven with textures?

Comment

What happens with simulated bones on skeletal mesh and translation? it seems to be completely crazy... (like in the very first version of the engine)

Comment

Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
            As for the new Audio Engine, I noticed in Aaron's demo at GDC he was using an envelope to drive materials.

Are there new Material Nodes available for this or is this purely a Blueprint/C++ implementation? I made a frequency spectrum analyzer in 4.15 with C++, but it relies on storing compressed bulk data of the original .wav as an asset. Being able to read from sound-cues in real time would be nice!
            [MENTION=524867]dan.reynolds[/MENTION] Im also quite interested in this. Hopefully there's now an easy way to affect materials and other things using audio.

How do you take the full sound mix you hear and plug that into a light or material for effects?

Comment

Volumetric Fog is now supported.

Wohaa!
              SUMFX.net

Chameleon Post ProcessSharp TextCamera TransitionsLOOK! Color Grading PackSciFi UI SoundsCensoredAnimated CrosshairsMinimalist Lower ThirdsAngled Lower ThirdsHitPoint

Comment

Originally posted by dan.reynolds View Post
                Enabling Occlusion
                1. Tag Occluding Static Meshes with Phonon Geometry Component
                So am I understanding correctly that you need to tag meshes after they've been placed in the scene if you want them to occlude sound? Is there no way to have this be an automatic effect, or to assign the phonon geometry component tag to a mesh in the content browser instead of needing to apply it after they've been placed in the map?

Comment

Originally posted by dinosauriac View Post
                  So am I understanding correctly that you need to tag meshes after they've been placed in the scene if you want them to occlude sound? Is there no way to have this be an automatic effect, or to assign the phonon geometry component tag to a mesh in the content browser instead of needing to apply it after they've been placed in the map?
                  This does seem like something that could be improved.
                  I had a bunch of crashes playing around with it yesterday which is understandable at this stage but there seemed to be a lot of extra setup compared to the oculus audio plugin.

I wonder what main differences are and why we should use one vs the other?

Comment

Originally posted by Nicobass View Post
                    What happens with simulated bones on skeletal mesh and translation? it seems to be completely crazy... (like in the very first version of the engine)
                    I'm afraid it's hard to know without more details. Could you post a repro on Answer Hub? Thanks!
                    Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
                    Twitter: @EpicJamesG

Comment

Sorry if i missed a post or something, but where can i see the new Synthesizer demonstrated and how to use it? Did it get covered on some stream?

Comment

Originally posted by Jonas_Molgaard View Post
                        Sorry if i missed a post or something, but where can i see the new Synthesizer demonstrated and how to use it? Did it get covered on some stream?
                        There is a post earlier in this thread that is a starting point for now:

https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post700272

Comment

New volumetric lighting looks amazing. This is default project, default post-processing, and I switched the lights to fully dynamic. Can't wait to see what experts do.

And here's one with the lights in motion

Last edited by Ohriginal; 04-27-2017, 10:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by JamesG View Post
                            I'm afraid it's hard to know without more details. Could you post a repro on Answer Hub? Thanks!
                            Unfortunately i'm not able to reproduce it on the mannequin mesh, it seems to only appears with complex bones like hairs or chain...

Comment

Originally posted by Minus_Kelvin View Post
                              RE: Android/iOS/Switch support for the new audio mixer. I didn't write these backends so there are some issues I need to fix before it's fully utilizable. Apologies for those excited about android audio *finally* having full feature support in UE4. It's close, but needs some love and attention. I'm literally working on Android right now to attempt to fix some of the obvious buffer underrun issues (I suspect it's because the mix function is being called synchronous to the audio output stream buffer callback).

Thanks everybody for being patient with us as we transition to using a totally new audio engine back end.
                              Thanks for the info and fingers crossed you can get it working at least on the high end mobile VR devices for GearVR and Daydream support this version already (or perhaps a hotfix?)
                              Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Originally posted by dinosauriac View Post
                                Great question! At the moment, the Phonon Plugin uses a component approach to tagging meshes, which means you would either have to add it to the mash once in the scene OR create a special BP actor of that mesh.

An optimization I found was to create a BP Actor with an invisible cube mesh and a Geometry Component, and then I was able to add this to a complex scene like a blocking volume--but for reflections.
                                Dan Reynolds
                                Technical Sound Designer || Unreal Audio Engine Dev Team

Comment

Working...
                                X