This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John Alcatraz View Post
    I just wonder why you need an explanation for what "Round" does?

Because every node in the material editor should be documented.
    It doesn't matter if I know what it does, It matters that everyone who doesn't know what it does learns what it does.

Comment

In 4.15.p2, I can no longer use win32 functions in C++ project such as:-
      Code:
      'GetLocalTime': identifier not found
      'SYSTEMTIME': undeclared identifier
      InterlockedIncrement': is not a member of '`global namespace'
      'InterlockedIncrement': identifier not found
      There are many others - but these are just some of them. I figure this has got to do with more efficient use of header files, but I cannot figure it out.

Comment

Originally posted by Syed View Post
        Code:
        There are many others - but these are just some of them. I figure this has got to do with more efficient use of header files, but I cannot figure it out.
        Try adding this to your header:
        Code:
        // Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers
        #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
        #define NOMINMAX

// Windows Header Files:
        #include <windows.h>
        That should solve your problem, The "NOMINMAX" is to remove the min/max macros.

HTH
        Never say Never, Because Never comes too soon. - ryan20fun

Frames Per Second is NOT a proper performance metric, You should use frame time. You can read this or this as to why.
        (Profiling) Tools: RenderDoc (UE4 Plugin), NVIDIA nSight, AMD GPU PerfStudio, CodeXL
        Good articles/Series: A trip through the Graphics Pipeline 2011

Comment

Originally posted by Syed View Post
          Code:
          Yes, you are missing the Windows stuff that was included by Engine headers in all your own code (without you even knowing it).

So you can go this way...
          Originally posted by ryan20fun View Post
          Try adding this to your header:
          Code:
          // Exclude rarely-used stuff from Windows headers
          #define WIN32_LEAN_AND_MEAN
          #define NOMINMAX

// Windows Header Files:
          #include <windows.h>
          But if you want to make portable code (to go Mobile, Console, or OS X/Linux) you should never do this !

=> Instead, use the "GenericPlaform" API of UnrealEngine, for instance the FPlatformAtomics::InterlockedExchange().

When I am faced with such low level question, I look into the Engine code itself (and particularly the Plugins, since they are somewhat external as a Game code)

Hope this helps!
          Last edited by SRombauts; 01-26-2017, 10:14 AM.
          [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
          UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.12-beta for UE4.22 - (v1 integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.7)
          UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin (1.4.5 for UE4.22)

Comment

Originally posted by Stephen Ellis View Post
            The codebase has been converted to a "include what you use" model, where every header includes other headers it needs, rather than every source file including large monolithic headers like Engine.h and UnrealEd.h. Existing game code can continue to include those files as before, but we measure the engine compiling 25-50% faster!
            I have an idea though I'm not sure it is possible. Modules like "Engine" contain a lot of U-classes and they are all compiled into the resulting binary when the game is cooked. How hard it would be (if possible at all) to teach UBT to check whether each U-class is referenced from content or from code and only include referenced classes in the final build? This would dramatically decrease both compile times and the binary size since a typical game doesn't use every U-class that exist in the engine.
            Realistic Atmosphere 2.0 | YouTube | Forum | Marketplace

Comment

Will you add "Use Quaternion Interpolation" settings to sequencer soon? If camera exceeds 179 degrees, it flips to -180? Kinda spins around once.

Comment

Oculus Mobile SDK 1.0.4 is the latest SDK for Gear VR. Will UE 4.15 have SDK updated to 1.0.4 ?

Comment

Originally posted by aussieburger View Post
                  4.15 is still using the old unreleasable googlevr (daydream) plugin
                  https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-outdated.html

Google requirements now require some features that are only in the newer versions of their plugin:
                  publishing requirements: https://developers.google.com/vr/dis...am/app-quality
                  changelog: https://developers.google.com/vr/unreal/release-notes now up to version 1.10!

Does that mean daydream devs are stuck on 4.13 and the official UE4 builds stay without publishable daydream support? Or can we please get it in 4.15?!?
                  We are looking into updating the GoogleVR plugin for 4.15.

Originally posted by motorsep
                  Oculus Mobile SDK 1.0.4 is the latest SDK for Gear VR. Will UE 4.15 have SDK updated to 1.0.4 ?
                  The Oculus SDK will not be updated for 4.15.

Cheers
                  Stephen Ellis | Enterprise Program Coordinator

Comment

Oh come on Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by evilmrfrank View Post
                      Are the unresolved issues in 4.15 things that will absolutely get fixed in the final 4.15 update? Mostly curious about this one specifically - https://issues.unrealengine.com/issue/UE-39884
                      Edit: Nvm, somehow missed the targeted for 4.15 release bugs Thank you for fixing this issue
                      Came here to beg that UE-39884 gets fixed in 4.15, I'm glad someone else cares about it too

I noticed it's not yet resolved in Preview, I really hope it makes it to the first release.

We have ~4000 statically lit trees in our game, gonna need them LODs

Comment

Originally posted by Robert Khalikov View Post
                        I have an idea though I'm not sure it is possible. Modules like "Engine" contain a lot of U-classes and they are all compiled into the resulting binary when the game is cooked. How hard it would be (if possible at all) to teach UBT to check whether each U-class is referenced from content or from code and only include referenced classes in the final build? This would dramatically decrease both compile times and the binary size since a typical game doesn't use every U-class that exist in the engine.
                        Code of the engine itself isn't compiled while cooking. Yes, engine binaries are included into cook. But it takes only fraction of cooking time to prepare binaries.
                        I bet it would take a lot of time to check which part of engine are really used. You would have to analyze all the blueprints, assets and configs.
                        Manual turning off not used modules and plugins should be enough

Although it would be nice if cooking wouldn't recreate game binaries every time - even if nothing changed in code since last cooking

Comment

We are looking into updating the GoogleVR plugin for 4.15.
                          That is great news! I really hope that can happen - and a "For Distribution" build is tested with it, as there have been issues popping up when you get to that stage.

Cheers
                          Out of interest why is that?
                          Headgear - VR/AR solutions

Comment

Originally posted by aussieburger View Post
                            Out of interest why is that?
                            A well kept secret Probably waiting on the outcome of the lawsuit - might never have to worry about updating Oculus SDKs if Zeni wins
                            Last edited by motorsep; 01-27-2017, 02:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Luos View Post
                              Because every node in the material editor should be documented.
                              It doesn't matter if I know what it does, It matters that everyone who doesn't know what it does learns what it does.
                              That's a good way to look at it Luos, thanks for the feedback. Following your post I've tried to add tooltip information to most of the new nodes and moving forward I agree, we should make more of an effort to have clearer tooltips and documentation for all nodes if possible.

Comment

I've tried to add tooltip information to most of the new nodes and moving forward I agree, we should make more of an effort to have clearer tooltips and documentation for all nodes if possible
                                Nice
                                While you are at it, consider thisone as well

-The tooltip for the 3Dto1DIndex node is just a paste copy of the 2D version.

-The tooltip for the GenerateBands node reads "the higher the V value, the more bands"
                                This is depending on the direction switch and only true for the default direction. It should be noted that, if direction is reversed, U will control the band count.

Comment

Working...
                                X