July 10 livestream: Unreal Engine 4.3 Preview and Rendering Update

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by joessu View Post
    Not according to the tutorial that i followed. The 4th video he creates a sparks emitter (CPU) and gets a size by speed module.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur..._QT4GLiU#t=857

check out at that exact time.
    Hmm. Okay looks like in 4.3 it will be possible to use Size By Speed on CPU Particles. Here on my 4.2.1 install it only works on GPU Particles. My bad Sorry!
    Wannabe Artist & Developer @DizcoDev

Comment

Originally posted by joessu View Post
      Not according to the tutorial that i followed. The 4th video he creates a sparks emitter (CPU) and gets a size by speed module.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur..._QT4GLiU#t=857

check out at that exact time.
      Yeah, it's in 4.3 both for GPU and CPU particles.
      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
      Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Hey folks. I had a quick question: What's the current status of UMG?
        Twitter: @zerofiftyone_
        Button Frenzy store page: http://store.steampowered.com/app/454630

Comment

Hey! I have a quick question, What is the status on the "Auto lightmap UV workflow" that's posted on the roadmap, And am i correct to assume its similar to the UV tools of Enlighten, where it generates the UV lightmaps automatically without having to make it manually? Also, will we see it in 4.3? Thanks guys, You rock!

Comment

Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
            Yeah, it's in 4.3 both for GPU and CPU particles.
            Awesome!

Originally posted by zerofiftyone View Post
            Hey folks. I had a quick question: What's the current status of UMG?
            I think there is a thread somewhere here on the forums that is constantly updated with status.

Comment

Hey Guys,

Really looking forward to the updated lit translucency but I notice there is a lot of flickering with translucent materials when using the Oculus Rift currently in 4.2, has this been improved or were there any other improvements to translucent materials? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by Ozykz View Post
                What is the status on the "Auto lightmap UV workflow"?
                Working on it as we speak. The idea is to make an automatic UV packer that is good enough quality to make it the default workflow for using lightmaps. Right now there are two ways to generate lightmap UVs inside of unreal, both of which give pretty poor results. I am going to replace both with a new one and make it pack on import instead of as a hidden tool you need to know about and use. The long term goal is to make the concept of lightmaps as 2d textures totally transparent to the user. To achieve this, UVs need to not have to be provided by the artist and we need to smooth object and UV seams. The goal is a lofty one and this is step one down that path.

Comment

Originally posted by The_Distiller View Post
                  A few details about the upcoming skin shader would be nice. Will it give similar results to the one used in The Order 1886 in terms of softening?
                  The preintegrated skin shading model that has been present since 4.0 is the same general model The Order uses. Although efficient, we haven't been able to achieve the quality of skin we are after with it. The skin technique we are working on uses screen space subsurface scattering based on the work of Jorge Jimenez. It should be much higher quality skin than anything we have supported in the past.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Karis View Post
                    The preintegrated skin shading model that has been present since 4.0 is the same general model The Order uses. Although efficient, we haven't been able to achieve the quality of skin we are after with it. The skin technique we are working on uses screen space subsurface scattering based on the work of Jorge Jimenez. It should be much higher quality skin than anything we have supported in the past.
                    Awesome - I'd love to be able to get such high quality skin on my characters.

Working on it as we speak. The idea is to make an automatic UV packer that is good enough quality to make it the default workflow for using lightmaps. Right now there are two ways to generate lightmap UVs inside of unreal, both of which give pretty poor results. I am going to replace both with a new one and make it pack on import instead of as a hidden tool you need to know about and use. The long term goal is to make the concept of lightmaps as 2d textures totally transparent to the user. To achieve this, UVs need to not have to be provided by the artist and we need to smooth object and UV seams. The goal is a lofty one and this is step one down that path.
                    This is really nice and would probably remove most of my annoyances with lightmaps at this point. Having to massage the UVs right now is a real pain.
                    Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Wish these livestreams would make it on to youtube faster.
                      Map Generator 1.0
                      Map Generator 2.0
                      Map Generator 3.0

Comment

Working on it as we speak. The idea is to make an automatic UV packer that is good enough quality to make it the default workflow for using lightmaps...
                        ...The long term goal is to make the concept of lightmaps as 2d textures totally transparent to the user.
                        Looking forward to test this when it's ready. I would like to have static lights due to performance but I'm using dynamic lights now as a lot of the content I deal with come from CAD/Solidworks side of things (outside of our development) where we are not provided with UV mapping.

Comment

Hi guys! The youtube video from the stream is up!

http://youtu.be/BWXBkV_C8Zs
                          Stacey Conley
                          -----------------------------
                          Unreal Tournament Community Manager
                          Epic Games, Inc.

Comment

Ohhh I'm very excited about this! I find the whole lightmapping process so annoying and time-consuming (if I want to achieve good results, otherwise I just do a Flatten Mapping). Improving this process will be very useful. Best of luck Brian!
                            Jefferson Pinheiro

Comment

Ray Davis mentioned in the beginning of the stream that they had a lot of problems with getting the "last second stall" in sword fighting....
                              http://youtu.be/BWXBkV_C8Zs?t=10m19s
                              My ideas have failed so far (changing the anim play rate and the Global Time)....
                              Did you ever solve it?....and if so any clues on how....

Streams: www.Twitch.tv/BlinkTheory
                              Patreon: www.Patreon.com/BlinkTheory

Comment

Working...
                              X