Download

Your suggestions about open tiled work size

Do you guys think a game with an open tiled world 80km by 40km (2K reso tiles) is manageable to run or its too large ?
Does anyone know the real size of open world games such as Witcher 3. horizon zero dawn, World of Warcraft…etc
I’ve seen in some forums that Wow is 16km by 16km but I don’t think that’s the real size since the games is very large to be 16km in each side

That’s too large.
I will give you some rough numbers.
I think Witcher 3 world size is 12x12 km or something like that. Skyrim 6x6 km, GTA V 9x9 km. Sauce.
You can google in game name + world size.

But hey, seriously, even a single 8x8 landscape (no world composition) is really more than enough and I hope your hair doesn’t grow white before you are finished with it. :eek:

Have a look at my game I’m working on, type tesseract prime offworlds in google to bring up the site, the game is big, its vast in size. But I want the planets to be 4x4 km in size or less to run around on. I know in Mass Effect 3 they didn’t always use have very big outdoor levels. They made the maps look big and vast with the background effects but the actual area you could move around in was small and limited, they were more Modular… Sacred 2 is a good example of what I want for a ground sim for my planets… But I’ve never gotten into World Level Streaming. How do you start on this? As the default engine won’t do vast sizes like that without slowing down the game camera. You can’t put too many single meshes in these kind of maps (without level streaming) My map abt 1x1km in size at the moment containing the city, the desert region and the wilderness area the flurries nesting grounds, and that size is causing camera slowdowns without the world composition. I did make my city walls with about 20 different mesh components, and have about 1,000 wall segments to go all around the city for each segment, but to optimize this i will have to select that wall mesh piece, then export it out and import them back in as a singular modular wall piece so I don’t have a wall piece with 20 meshes in it no more. So once I optimize the city wall that should free up some more engine speed. I would need to set up level streaming for the Swamplands and other regions of Telos. But it sounds like you need a bunch of professionals to get this level streaming stuff all set up because I don’t understand it too well. It seems quite technical to me. But I think it works similar to the Portal Brushes as I used to make my own maps in Red Faction’s Red Editor. But I think its more complex in Unreal Engine than just placing down a portal brush in the level to tell the engine where to stop rendering a certain area of the map.

You need to build your landscape in a 3rd party software where you can cut it into tiles then export it to UE4 using world composition and Levels=>export, World machine is a good example.
Here is an example : https://wiki.unrealengine.com/World_Machine_to_UE4_using_World_Composition

This page (from 2010) shows the size of several large games.

The largest land-based game I know of was Daggerfall with an area of 62,394 square miles or around 161,600 square kilometres, although it was kind of repetitive.