World Composition

Right now I’m looking at making a fairly large world, aiming at possibly making a huge open world. But to start off, I want to have a decent size village, Two seperate areas (i’ll call them fields for now), and then another area which will be an interior/seperate map. The village and each ‘field’ will contain a potentially large amount of static meshes, npcs, etc. So I would like to have them on seperate map.

Looking at the World composition overview, its showing a big island and surrounding water, with a few squares… Am I making the overall landscape layout in the persistant map? and then adding detail maps? In my test project, I made a map with a landscape using the default landscape settings, then added a new map and had to move the second landscape actor off the side so it wasnt overlapping. I’m really not sure what I’m doing here, and how to go about setting this up. Every semblance of a “tutorial” I could find talked about version 4.8 or earlier, and didnt really give a good general scope of how to set up. I just spent a half hour fighting with the landscape and materials, so now I’m not even sure I’ve asked the question properly…

Edit for some clarification: I’m not asking about how to import heightmaps or the specifics of working with landscapes, and an external program such as World Machine isnt affordable for me atm. My question is meant to be about how to use world composition and set it up.

Completely no help but I’m posting because I would love to read the replies. Same question for me, village and a palace. Was going to separate too…