Will my skin detail be useless?

How is a characters skin/pore detail maintained when the character moves?

For ex. if i do a lot of high detail skin pore work in zbrush then bake the normals,
will the stretching of the cheek when he opens his mouth render my skin pore detailing useless?

(Like stretching the small holes = making them bigger and noticeable and not beautiful?)

Also if I plan on doing skin textures in after Zbrush high detail skin pore working…

Would doing the ZBrush skin pores be a useless step?

Like does the skin pore normal map that i bake will that help in to make bumps in the skin pictures/color painting im overlaying onto the mesh?

The pores will probably be fine during animation.

What is done these days, for the most high-detail characters is that they use blended normal maps. What this means, is that in Zbrush they will make an extreme pose for the face and then sculpt the detail for that pose (like wrinkles around the eyes from squinting) and then render a normal map for that detail. You can set it up in the game so that when facial animation gets closer to that pose it will blend in the new normal maps so that it looks like the skin is moving more realistically. They’ve also been doing it for clothing, like in Uncharted 4, and GTAV where the wrinkles on the back of their shirts will change as they walk around.

Awesome!

Thanks darth I think Ive seen this done for wrinkle maps, never knew it could also be for stretching.

I recently found a easier way to get skin pore details by just overlaying and painting the skin textures from photos to the model
in , in a method called, creating the “Displacement map”

Is it possible to use blended normal maps method with displacement maps?

Displacement maps actually push the vertices to create the detail rather than adjusting the shading to give the illusion of depth. The issue with displacement is that the more detail you want, the higher density the mesh needs to be–meaning more polygons. So it’s not really suitable for doing pore detail, for wrinkles it’s probably overkill as well. There’s no practical reason you can’t do blended displacement maps just like you would do with normal maps, but you can probably get enough detail without displacement maps.

I see, so displacement maps are something more for studios with huge rendering farms while game engine users need to go for more efficiency like normal maps?

Btw is there a way to overlay and paint skin textures from a picture onto the model like the method used in
But somehow make a normal map with it?(B/e from my understand normal maps need to be sculpted first)

What about… would a normal map be able to be made from a displacement map?

For characters, displacement maps are typically used in film effects. For games, it’s supported you can get real-time tesselation which will subdivide the mesh if it gets close enough to the camera and then you can displace it to add detail, many games use this now for things like rough ground and bumpy stone walls.

There’s many texturing programs that can paint diffuse and normal maps at the same time, but if you’re projecting a photo onto it to use as a texture then it doesn’t have anything to pull from to create the normal map. What you can do though, is take the result into Photoshop, or Crazybump, or Substance Bitmap2Material and generate a normal map from there.

How does PS and those other programs generate a normal map?
I thought that a normal map required sculpting of some kind.

Well I guess Im just gonna have to try out the method myself and see if it will run in UE4, hopefully constantly using the Unreal shader in will eliminate the put 100 hours in and then find out it doesnt work type of scenario.