Download

Why and when to use Levelstreaming?

Hello,

I’m working on my first 3d project and i am amazed by the unreal engine so far (:D) but i can’t seem to find a explanation of when the Levelstreaming should be used and what the exact performance increase will be.

I understand that not having parts of the level in memory will be faster but when i make a quick map of 20000*20000 with copy pasted boxes everywhere everything renders just fine. On the other hand having all of our AI loaded in memory and running will probably be a major performance hit (i guess).

For our game we wan’t to make 1 seamless map where the player will progress Metroidvania style. The setting is a “big”, magical, house and we are aiming for 3-4 hours of gameplay so using the world browser seems to be a bit to much (or maybe it’s the perfect solution???). The save game should save the state the game is in (dead enemies remain dead etc.)

Is this something hard to achieve with level streaming or does unreal have build in functionality for this?

You mainly use level streaming when you create large landscapes with lot of meshes and actors → e.g something like in Skyrim should be done with level streaming. The advantage of level streaming is the better performance, because it “hides” all the stuff (actors, foliage, meshes,…) → not so much is rendered on the screen.

For such a house you could use a culling volume -> it will also hide meshes over the distance. :slight_smile: