Download

Which do you find harder, 3D modeling or level design?

Which do you personally find more challenging, creating 3D models/objects or creating levels? And why?

3d modeling is way harder for me. Depends on the type of person I think; whether you can handle more monotonous tasks or if you prefer big picture concepts.

I’ve got 30 years of playing games under the belt that intuitively tells me when a level is good or bad and it’s fun exploring my creations. I can’t stand the (relative) monotony of making polygonal level modifications, UV mapping etc.

Kind of like if you would prefer making miniature wooden models or building a house. I’d snap a little wooden model in half and would rather roll up the sleeves and hammer some nails. The industry gravitates towards modelers because they are the drivers of content in this era so it’s a more valuable skill.

Level-design is a joy. Watching the world unfold through iteration or gameplay is very rewarding.
But sometimes you must throw out ten levels before you find one you like, so its still challenging.

Modeling is detailed painstaking water-torture work that the gamer/end-user is often unaware of.
They don’t see all the hard work! But just about every other modeler can spot your flaws instantly… :stuck_out_tongue:

Level-design is a joy. Watching the world unfold through iteration or gameplay is very rewarding.
But sometimes you must throw out ten levels before you find one you like, so its still challenging.

Modeling is detailed painstaking water-torture PITA that the gamer/end-user is often unaware of.
They don’t see all the hard work! But just about every other modeler can spot your flaws instantly… :stuck_out_tongue: