Where can I learn about how to use the editor and stuff?

Hello!

I have an interest in making simple stuff using unreal engine - I can place objects, do matinee, extremely basic blueprints, etc. My idea of making ‘water’ is to place a solid surface and place the water material that comes with the engine on it. However, when I go on the forum I see people talking about masking textures, diffusion, and more. How do you learn all of this stuff? I’m willing to be patient and if it takes months - years I’m fine, I just want to learn how to use the engine better.

Example - I went here because I wanted to see if I could make some cool-looking grass. All I have is a basic grass model I downloaded and a single-color 256x256 texture I made in mspaint. It just looked so ugly I wanted to see if I could do something to make it look better.

's reply, where he teaches you to make actual wind physics, uses all sorts of stuff like ‘masking’, ‘normals’, ‘gradient textures’… I dont know any of this :frowning:

Like I said before, I’m willing to take the time required to have at least a small understanding of this stuff… are there books to read or online tutorials for new people like me? Even the beginner UE4 tutorials are too advanced for me. I just want to be able to make cool stuff. I can’t even make meshes and I can barely make 1-color textures, let alone advanced realistic materials. I don’t even know how I would start :stuck_out_tongue: I tried downloading a realistic dirt texture and putting it into the engine and placing it on a mesh but all I end up with is a blurry mess.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

I know the feeling, I pretty much started out not knowing anything and there is still a lot more I don’t know and terms I don’t understand but I am gradually getting there. I recommend checking out Digital Tutors, I understand more than when I started and I have some confidence when navigating around the Unreal UI. I know I still have a long way to go, but learning the tools you are going to be using helps a lot. Sadly the website is paid site with two options. But If you have time even 1 month will be more than enough time to go through their unreal 4 tutorials.

Thanks! I’ll be sure to check them out. I know the basic UI, just not enough to apply my knowledge to anything more then basic stuff.

I personally would recommend you to just open different materials, blueprint setups,… and then study them. Delete nodes to see what happens/reconnect them + when you dont find out what something is doing, take a look at this site :slight_smile:

https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/ExpressionReference/index.html
https://docs.unrealengine/latest/INT/Engine/Rendering/Materials/MaterialInputs/index.html

So all in all I personally would recommend you to to do it this way: “learning by doing” :wink:

Thanks to both of you :slight_smile:

I found this a nice place to dive in for me (choose the video series you’re most interested in): https://www.youtube/playlist?list=PLZlv_N0_O1gaCL2XjKluO7N2Pmmw9pvhE