What's the state & where to start with HTC Vive & Unreal today?

Early HTC Vive games made with Unreal Engine were plagued by extremely blurry graphics, due to the deferred rendering technique and poor anti-aliasing.

About half a year (or more) ago I read about Unreal Engine doing a forward rendering path to combat this, but now, TAA seems to be an alternative solution.

I’m a complete newbie, so can anyone tell me, or point me to some information regarding the state of VR with the Vive in Unreal today? Any good tutorials and packages I should look into?

Valve chose Unity to release their official Vive package for, with custom shaders and a whole interaction system. Anything similar for Unreal?

TAA isn’t poor, it’s just bad for VR. TAA is what makes everything blurry

Unreal has forward renderer and MSAA for VR games. Forward renderer is required to use MSAA, but it doesn’t support screen space reflections and some other features.

No, only from Oculus. Oculus has audio API, lipsync and custom forward renderer (with dynamic resolution). For Vive you can use Valve’s audio API (Steam Audio) and default features of the engine. Although, Epics’re going to add dynamic resolution soon.

Documentation to start: Developing for XR Experiences in Unreal Engine | Unreal Engine 5.3 Documentation

Interesting. People seem to have a different opinion of TAA in the Unity forums.

“Some other features” like quite a lot of cool lighting effects, I’m guessing, and also those cool deferred decals.

Thank you for the information!

Does anyone know of a project which uses the forward renderer in Unreal with the Vive?