Download

what's the progress Ue4 and Visual Studio 2015

I haven’t been on here for a while - maybe this has been asked before…

Can I use Visual Studio 2015 or do I still need 2013 ?

According to thread about the 4.10 Preview in the Announcements and Releases section:

OK, cheers
what about the 4.9.x ?

Apparently 2015 is partially supported. Read this sticky thread here for more: UE4 and Visual Studio 2015

I haven’t tried myself so I cannot give you a more detailed response. Maybe someone else could tell us something about it?

I have both VS2013 and VS2015 installed and here is my experience so far:

• GenerateProjectFiles generates VS2013 solution files by default. You have to use -2015 flag (i.e., GenerateProjectFiles -2015) to force it to generate VS2015 solution files.
  • I was able to compile and run UE4 with VS2015
  • Creating new C++ project creates VS2013 solution by default. I have no idea how to force it to create VS2015 solution yet.

Okay thanks for the info so far. I guess in future there’s either going to be an option somewhere that allows us to choose between 2013/2015 files if both are available. Otherwise it could default to whatever version is there. For now it should probably work to run a command like this to get the VS2015 solution files for your C++ project:

<Path/To/UnrealEngine4>/UE4/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe  -projectfiles -project="<Path/To>/Unreal Projects/<Project Name>/<Project Name>.uproject" -game -engine -progress -2015

At least this seems to be the command that is executed when you press the Generate Visual Studio Solution button in the Unreal Engine Editor. Specify the paths to UBT.exe and your .uproject and see if that works.

I’m not sure if there’s anything else required to be set up before. If it doesn’t work like that you could try to find out what GenerateProjectFiles does before generating.

Thanks for pointing me to the right direction. I didn’t know there was “Generate Visual Studio project files” context command. I made a GenerateProjectFiles.bat that can be used with -2015 flag if put on the project directory itself:

@echo off

set UE4_PATH=C:/YourUnrealEnginePath

echo Generating project files in %cd%...
for /f %%i in ('dir *.uproject /B 2^>nul') do (
	call "%UE4_PATH%/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe" -2015 -projectfiles -project="%cd%/%%i" -game -engine -progress
	goto end
)

:no_uproject_file_found
echo ERROR: No .uproject file found
exit /B 1

:end
echo Done!
exit /B 0

You only have to change the UE4_PATH for it to work.

it does not work for me . using 4.11. any idea?
although :

is working . but looking for a batch file solution too for team mates.