What software is used for what exactly? and where to start?

Hello everybody.
First of all, sorry for my bad English. It’s not my native language, but I try my best to be understandable.

I have two Questions.

1. Where to start?
  2. What software is used for what?

This might be a stupid question, but I’m seriously confused. Of course I try to go deeper, and explain, so you understand what I mean exactly. I got an apprenticeship as a programmer this year and I’m excited and motivated to learn everything there is to learn in the industry. Of course, this can’t be done in a short amount of time, if at all. But I fell in love, and this is my passion, so there is no turning back.
One thing I know is that I want to learn Unreal Engine 4. I also know that I want to use Maya instead of blender and the other competitors. And I also know, that I probably should use zbrush and photoshop.
Now the things I don’t know. What software is being used for what exactly? I see so many things made in Maya, that I’m completely irritated. Sometimes when I watch youtube videos, tutorials or online courses, I see things made in unreal engine 4, while another does something very similar in maya. Some other guy uses zbrush to make his characters and assets for his game. Another one stays with maya to do his assets. Which of these Software should be used for what for game development and/or Video Animation.

During the next years, I want to work on my own little projects, while I’m attending my apprenticeship. These projects will contain tiny games ( NO giant MMO what ever and AAA shooters, just simple top down view games ) and some video sequences. But im so confused, I don’t even know where to start, what to learn, what does what, what and how would a professional do things for production.

I know I rambled a lot. I’m sorry. It’s just so overwhelming that my brain gets numb every time I need to make a decision. I hope I wasn’t to confusing. And I hope you can help me and clear my mind on a few topics.

Cya and thanks in advance