What is the fastest way to load UE4 game/app on the device ?

What is the fastest way to load game on the device ?

For example, Oculus requires for a game to be loaded in 4 sec. While 4.10 - 4.11 managed to do that, 4.12 - 4.13 takes good 10 sec or more to load.

I tried using streaming levels, where initial level, with streaming method “Always” loaded, is a simple black room with player inside and the main level is loaded from BP, after initial level is done loading. Even with such approach initial loading time are unacceptably long per Oculus standards.

Is there a better way to make sure UE4 loads really fast?

Thanks

[MENTION=11153]Chris Babcock[/MENTION]

Do you happen to have any insight into this issue ?

Thanks

Where do you see this 4 second requirement? I can’t find it.

I believe the expected way is to show a loading icon using:

FGearVR::SetLoadingIconTexture()
FGearVR::SetLoadingIconMode()

This will require a code project. There isn’t a way to expose this for Blueprint since you’d have to load a level first and the point is to have these called earlier. I believe this is what GunJack uses.

Odd, I can no longer find that requirement either :confused: Used to be in the Oculus docs, under Mobile Application Requirements.

So basically long initial loading time is just what it is for UE 4.13 and up ?

I wish UE4 had a setting for it in the .ini file. Would be much easier than having to use C++ project :frowning:

Btw, in 4.13 Oculus already provides spinner that is showing up as soon as app launched. It’s just waiting 10+ sec staring at that spinner is no fun.