What does a camera need to move?

So I think I might be missing something. I’m currently trying to set up what would best be described as a fighting game camera, It needs to follow the average position of a pair of actors on a single axis, and eventually it will zoom in and out based on how close the actors are from one another. Before any of that can happen though I need to know what a camera needs to be able to move in the first place. I’ve got the camera set up as a class in the scene and it’s able to get and spit out a debug string letting me know that it’s tracking the location of at least one of it’s targets, but it’s just not moving toward them.

I have three assumed possibilities:

• There’s a ‘movable’ toggle I haven’t been able to find
  • I need to parent the camera to an in order for it to inherit movement
  • Because the camera can “see” the character it’s assumed to not need to move (I really doubt this one is the case but I figured I’d write down everything)

I’m likely going to eliminate #3 before the night is out, but if anyone has the answer to one of the others, or a solution I haven’t listed I would appreciate the lift!

Are you just going to use the camera in your player or using a separate BP?

The camera is currently a separate bp. The player’s character will be moving indipendantly from it.

Could you not do a simple Move to location.

And changed FOV

Does “Move To Location” transit over ? Please explain it like you’re talking to an idiot, because I generally am :wink:

I’m not even working on the Field of View change for a zoom just yet. I’m just trying to figure out what makes a camera capable of moving from one place to another first.

Move to location, or set relative location in blueprints both can move your camera component on their own. I have a bp setup that moves a platform from one place to another, based on some math and a timeline curve for movement speed.

So what you could do is just have the cameras tick or another function calculate the middle of the characters for location, and use some other math to calculate distance, and then just use the above functions and whatever timeline or other speed/transition curve you want to use for the movement speed.

Heres a screen of my graph. Its not very complicated.

So for your implementation, instead of the location being on the scene component, change it to the camera component. And dont use my vars for locationa nd whatnot, use some math like i mentioned above.

, you just solved two problems for me with that answer.

I had given up on timelines and switched over to iTween because I couldn’t figure out how to divide the timeline’s curve to alter it’s speed. Turns out I was just using the math in the wrong spot!
I’ll get this set up and post the results!

Thanks for the suggestion , but my camera is still as stationary as it was before.

I have to be missing something here. The questions I asked earlier, do they have any relevance to the camera’s position in space?