Ah, Ok, so its like Borderlands. Just needed a lil more clarification of what type of FPS it is your seeking input on. According to wikipedia, First-person shooter (FPS) is a video game genre centered on gun and projectile weapon-based combat through a first-person perspective; In my opinion, any type of 3D Game can be FPS, as long as it includes those two ingredients. So what I would like to see in a FPS, is something that you don’t typically see in a FPS. Try a little genre mixing.
I like the idea weapon crafting: You can use items that have been looted and add them on to make even more powerful and even more wacky weapons. A decade ago this was a similar premise for a FPS Combat METALOIDZ, highlighting a modular FPS Weapon Customization system codename: GunVertor. Each component had its own effect on projectile, weapon, player.
**Gunvertor Weapon System
GunVertor Weapon Components:
- Chamber: The Weapon Core Component in which other components connect into. It is the mechanism loads ammunitions from the ammunition storage into the weapon, applies motivational force, directs ammunition through the barrel, and ejects ammunition byproducts. Chambers effect the amount, type and speed of loading ammunitions.
- Barrel: Projects the ammunition. Barrels effect ammunition range and dispersion. Long Barrels produce long range/ narrow dispersion; Shorter Barrel produces short range/wide dispersion. Barrels also provide a ‘heat sinking’ for the weapon.
- Loader: Can be attached to the barrel or magazine. Loads ammunition with Hand2.
- Trigger: Control mechnism that activates Firing Unit/Mechanism. The Trigger determines how the user can fire the weapon. A weapon can posses multiple triggers.
- Firing: Unit This component provides motivational force to a ammunition. High Quality Firing Units can project ammunition a great speeds long distances.
- StockGrip: Absorbs Recoil. Recoil can effect weapon handling and accuracy. High Quality Stocks can absorbs greater amounts of recoil. Handgrip attaches to player.
- Magazine: Magazine PowerCell Canister are storage components. These components effect Ammunition Refill/Recharge speed and Storage Quantity
- AmmoMeter: A 3D HUD Display for Ammo Count associated with the magazine.
- Scope: A HUD accessory component that assist in visibility of the target (ie: Zoom, Infrared, Thermovision)
- Sight + Cursor: A HUD accessory component that assists in targeting object. Displays Targeting Cursor.
- Distorter: This accessory attaches to the Barrel of the weapon to muffle sound of Solid Ammunitions or change the visual characteristics of Energy Ammunitions.
- Bayonet: This Blade Weapon accessory attaches to the barrel of the weapon and used as melee weapon.
- Deflector (not shown): This accessory attaches to the Chamber or Barrel providing defense shield capability."
In a FPS game, the Weapon is the representation of Player’s Character (taking up to 25% of the screen) and Players enjoy customizing their Characters. I would like to see this concept brought up to the current state-of-the-art.