What cant be done with Blueprint?

I am working on a project and am wondering if i’ll need a C++ programmer. What kinds of things cant you do with Blueprint that you can with C++ and vice versa if any.

There is no way to answer your question, as tens of thousands of things can’t be done in blueprints. Whether or not you will need a C++ programmer depends on what your needs are. I as a long-time coder hate blueprints in the sense that they are unorganized, and have limitations, but love them in the sense that they are quick for prototyping, and are easy to use.

“A lot” is both an accurate and a misleading answer. You will be able to do pretty much all common gameplay tasks in Blueprint. Saying they are bad for performance is technically true, but a much less significant deal than some people want to make it. Look at Hourence’s latest (3rd) series of Solus Blueprint videos and you’ll see a PHANTASMAL amount of blueprint nodes, working perfectly.

However, there are a lot of non-“common gameplay tasks” that simply aren’t exposed to Blueprint. For example, recently I had to get a socket from a static mesh… the function to get that doesn’t exist in BP so I had to toss together a small utility C++ function to do it, and expose that myself.

BP and C++ really complement each other and both work well perfectly if you adhere to a few simple rules. Obviously, while learning, you will break most of those rules, and frankly said, most people out there don’t tend to follow best practices, resulting in a lot of messy and broken code (& graphs). There IS a right way to do it but it’s not always obvious and requires a good deal of experience, usually gained the hard way.

Unfortunately, there is no way around it, so you’ll either have to buckle up and pull out the wallet for a pro, or start learning it yourself.

I should also say that there is nothing that you can’t do with C++, and blueprints (and many other languages were pretty much made in C++, so that’s something you might want to think about.