Water tutorial request

Hello all,
I am new to the engine and trying to grasp the basics. I am having a hard time trying to find the proper way to handle water. It seems tutorials are limited on the subject (maybe I’m overthinking something simple). For instance, how would you create a lake. I have seen some suggest using a bsp but that doesn’t seem right from what I’ve been reading. Also, if I wanted to make an Island based game, how would I handle creating the ocean? From playing in the engine, I created an island and then created a second landscape that was the ocean. This seems incorrect as there would be a large part of the second landscape “under” the island. Thank you in advance for any help.

Unreal comes with ocean and lake water blueprints. You can get them from the learn tab.

Water is tricky. Math and physics knowledge is advised. Anyway, you could take a look at Gameworks as well.

For your lake or ocean just create a mesh with a big hole in the middle where your lower than sea level will be.
You can apply water to any shape mesh it doesn’t have to be a box.

Thank you all. I appreciate the help.

There’s already a large amount of examples pertaining to water, oceans, lakes and so forth. At the most basic level, it is a mesh (plane, typically) with a shader applied. As others have noted, Epic’s already released sample content focusing on this. I believe it can be found under the “Learn” tab in the Epic Games Launcher.

As a note, those who are looking to learn how to create materials and shaders in Unreal Engine 4 might want to take a look at 3DMotive’s recent tutorial series on this. It’s located here. There’s probably free alternative tutorials on YouTube if you dig for them a bit.