Water tutorial request

Hello all,
I am new to the engine and trying to grasp the basics. I am having a hard time trying to find the proper way to handle water. It seems tutorials are limited on the subject (maybe I’m overthinking something simple). For instance, how would you create a lake. I have seen some suggest using a bsp but that doesn’t seem right from what I’ve been reading. Also, if I wanted to make an Island based game, how would I handle creating the ocean? From playing in the engine, I created an island and then created a second landscape that was the ocean. This seems incorrect as there would be a large part of the second landscape “under” the island. Thank you in advance for any help.
-Matthew

Unreal comes with ocean and lake water blueprints. You can get them from the learn tab.

Water is tricky. Math and physics knowledge is advised. Anyway, you could take a look at Gameworks as well.

For your lake or ocean just create a mesh with a big hole in the middle where your lower than sea level will be.
You can apply water to any shape mesh it doesn’t have to be a box.

Thank you all. I appreciate the help.

There’s already a large amount of examples pertaining to water, oceans, lakes and so forth. At the most basic level, it is a mesh (plane, typically) with a shader applied. As others have noted, Epic’s already released sample content focusing on this. I believe it can be found under the “Learn” tab in the Epic Games Launcher.

As a note, those who are looking to learn how to create materials and shaders in Unreal Engine 4 might want to take a look at 3DMotive’s recent tutorial series on this. It’s located here. There’s probably free alternative tutorials on YouTube if you dig for them a bit.