Download

Virtual Bones and meshes with different proportions problem

Hi, I have 2 skeletal meshes for the same skeleton but with different proportions. Then I have virtual bones, for example from Root to Foot. In one of the meshes the virtual bone is correctly placed on the foot bone, but in other there is a gap of few centimetres.

What’s causing this and how do I get rid of it?

Edit: It only happens in animations, in the base pose the VB is correct in both meshes.

Edit2: workaround is just to use CopyBone from foot to vb-foot before they are used, still I’m confused how vb are supposed to work.

Hello! I have the same one here. Virtual bones shouldn’t behave like this, I think it’s an UE error… Did you find a solution to this problem?

I did found that VB are not correctly retargetted, so if you retarget the anim the VB will be at old place or something like that. I don’t really understand why.

As solution, in the animbp, just before you need to use them, for example in ik, you just copy normal bone position to virtual bone. Like if you have “VB ik_foot_l” virtual bone, you put a copy bone node from foot_l to “VB ik_foot_l”