Very strange issues with material instances/texture samplers

This is almost definitely a client side issue. This has to do with a strange issue with directly adding textures to samplers/instances.

If i try to drag a texture into a material, there’s no issue at all.

If i try to drag a texture into a pre-existing sampler or instance if the texture was imported AFTER last time the engine was shut down everything works perfectly fine as intended

If i try to drag a texture into a pre-existing sampler or instance if the texture was imported BEFORE last time the engine was shut down UE4 doesn’t let me add the texture to a sampler or instance for absolutely no obvious reason whatsoever. No errors. It just doesn’t let me.

This has been going on for the entire time i have ever used ue4 from the start to this very moment. I have been using it for i think a half year and have never seen anyone else encounter this, nor anything close to a fix, after reinstalling over 6 times and other generic or non-generic fixes.
No im not doing something dumb like trying to put a render target or cubemap into a Texture 2D slot.

I have only ever been able to drag the textures into areas highlighted in green. are you positive you are dragging the texture into the correct area? I have never been able to drag it into the sampler on the shader at all, which is what you described.
Suggestion, film the behavior and submit a bug report. if they can see it they may be able to replicate it or ask you questions about your setup to determine what is causing it.

Again, everyone can do it, except me, it works fine until i shut off the engine, and it shows green, it just doesn’t work after. I am completely 101% positive as i have been using ue4 for quite awhile. It seems to be impossible to replicate due to being a client side seemingly un-fixable minor but annoying bug.

I would film it and submit a bug. sounds super annoying. especially if every time you need to work on a shader you have to add a new texture sample and find the texture…

It only affects dragging a texture onto an already existing sampler and material instances. No obvious cause/fix and im the only one who seems to have the bug.