Use C# to script in Unreal Engine 4 now, courtesy of

out of curiosity why does he say using C# for serious projects would make you suffer?

how much difference could there be between C++ and C#?

Some interesting comments on thread, Miguel de Icaza the creator of Mono is answering there…

http://www.reddit.com/r/programming/comments/2k4hz1/announcing_mono_for_unreal_engine/

BTW does blueprints not defeat the purpose of C#? wasn’t why blueprints was developed to make it easy for people who never even programmed before so hence someone who knows C# should have absolutely no problem using blueprints?

I couldn’t think of anyone who’d want to pay that amount when you can get UE for free, I’ve put a lot of time and money into Unity and I’m a firm believer if you’re going to pay more for a product it should offer more value. In which I believe Unity pro doesn’t at time, even commercially at full price.

When you put years of time and investment into a tool, I don’t think it’s an un-reasonable request to ask how they’re going to respond to competition. Especially after UE has been around for a fair while now, I know large companies move slow and all but in some instances they seem to be at a standstill.

The point of me saying it’s a pointless thread was due to the fact most of us are aware of it, it’s been discussed to death and don’t get me wrong I do agree with what you’re saying. That’s the problem!.

But back to the point at hand. The only reason I’d touch (Mono) now is because Microsoft have gotten involved, nothing wrong with C# my friend, Mono well that’s another matter…

In regards to Blueprints, technically there is nothing you can’t do with C# bar shader pipelines… You can even wrap DX and OpenGL libraries and use it for core rendering if you wished. I’m not sure what the limitations of BP is yet, so I’ll cross that bridge later…

^ Aah gotcha!! I agree with you fully!!!

And in closing I would like to say I am thankful for folks like you who guided me accordingly to use my time and future time investing in a better engine like UE4. Well yeah free student version of UE4 which can be used for commercial gain is a no brainer but still I am happy for guidance. I was about to invest time in Unity but glad I didn’t, UE4 is far too attractive.

But yes back to topic at hand :slight_smile:

The main reasons are generally going to be efficiency (it’s faster to type than to wire things together for people comfortable with it), and performance (BP are byte-code interpreted, C# is JIT compiled). Some tasks make sense in BP because of the way they are structured. It’s especially great for visual thinkers. I think BP and C# can coexist with little.

The prices are too high , and a subscription instead of a unique price per update don’t make sense for a programming language.
Most of people making indie games and choosing C# language will make the choice around Unity versions instead.
Also as UE4 updates can be fast and contain many new things, i’m not sure they will be able to catch up on the long term with updates, and C# should be a free language option supported by some Epic team instead, or it will remain some option less used than Blueprints or C++ because of it’s price mainly.

yeah might be better to just use Unity free if you wanted to do indie games in C# plus by indie games you would be targeting low end PC anyways.

So to get some more info on , the main attraction to integrating framework is the ability to write in C# in addition to C++/BP that is currently in Unreal? I mean Unreal already has cross-platform facilities to port to the mobile, so introducing Mono for it’s WORE features seems to be reduntant. Unity on the other hand relies solely on Mono for porting, so it’s not a question of its usefulness there.

I’d have to agree with , as we can already see it a step behind in its initial release, being compatible only with Unreal 4.4 and earlier. All the while Unreal devs are well on their way into engineering the 4.6 release, as evident from responses on their Twitch stream yesterday. Until plugin becomes officially supported by and is simply not an “engineering project” as stated on their About page, it’s hard to see it keeping up with the pace of Unreal engine development and to justify its fees.

Commercial licencing of Mono will determine if lives or dies. The indie versions of Mono are still quite expensive and it doesn’t allow you to use Visual Studio. Linux and console needs to be supported too.

Epic also need to work with the team so that it doesn’t require a bunch of engine source patches and it’s entirely contained within a plugin.

If Epic wanted to have something like mono integrated I guess they would did on their own.

That being said Plugin framework is still begin worked upon, including scripting extension possibilities.

lol. I am making an indie game but I destroy my 2gb GPU and 4690 i5. efficiency? not my problem :smug:

If they make it into a real plugin, instead of requiring engine source modding, may take over. Otherwise majority won’t ever touch thing.

I would love to be a plugin!

Just saying :smiley:

Why is Epic remaining mute about …

Why would Epic need to comment on it? They opened up the C++ code and provided a complete solution to scripting, even to add new script languages. Like what has been done with Mono now. I doubt they are going to embrace .NET and let anyone even get the idea they aren’t fully backing those path’s they went.

Yeah, there’s no need for Epic to get involved. They already have a ton of work to do.

is probably the most important point. From the sounds of it, it will cost $299 at the minimum per platform so $897 total per seat to develop for Windows, Mac and Linux. As C# will primarily be used by indie devs it is likely that the pricing will deter many from wanting to work with it. If they were to make desktop platforms free and use the normal license fee for iOS and Android then the project will surely thrive. Or perhaps a couple of percent in royalties as an alternative to an upfront cost which may work out better for certain devs.

But is exactly what the Blueprint system is for, and engine source is in C++. Blueprint is fast, it executes quickly enough, it compiles almost instantly so it’s perfect for prototyping. Most importantly, it’s understandable by virtually everyone who understands game logic. It’s artist friendly and powerful, sure it has a lot of bugs right now but I betcha it’s more bug-free than Mono integration. I also bet that Blueprint has more things from the engine exposed to it than C# does right now too, because it was integrated at day one.

C# only serves to mix up the flavours even more and add a third language to the mix, which in itself is going to have it’s own squirms and problems. C# will only ever serve as an interface between user and engine the same way Blueprint does, at which point I believe you are wasting time you could be spending learning new things, that will ultimately make the experience of working with the engine much smoother and you’ll have less roadblocks in the way too.

The only reason C# plug-in exists at all, is because Unity uses it, and somebody knows they can make money bringing it’s users over to Unreal. It’s nothing to do with the pros and cons of the language, you will always be better off using the native code of the engine. Either way, you’ll have to learn the engine, so why not experiment with C++ more too?

Interested to see how F# holds up in a gaming engine TBH.

Not a fan of Blueprints, feels more like a messy material editor than anything else. C++ is the only other option for UE4. I feel some sort of more easier modern language is needed, since there is no longer a proper scripting option available. C# or F# could fit the bill nicely for me personally.

I was going to cancel my sub and move back to Unity before I saw thread.