Use Blueprint To Activate Another Blueprint's Particles?

Hey all

I feel like this should be incredibly easy, but for the death of me I just can’t get this to work. I’ve attached a photo for reference. Basically, on my player blueprint, I’m trying to send a message to another blueprint and activate it so it begins emitting particles. I can always get the blueprint to spawn fine IF it spawns already activated. However, if I turn auto activate off, I can’t get it to spawn for anything. I’ve tried using blueprint interfaces, casting, you name it. Ideally, this is what I want to do:

On keypress, I’d like to spawn a blueprint, which contains a particle effect, on my player character. And then upon keypress a second time, the blueprint is either destroy or deactivated until the next keypress. I feel like this should be super simple compared to some other stuff I’ve been doing, but maybe I’m just having a dunce moment?

Thank you!

This might have less to do with blueprint to blueprint communication and more about getting the particle to activate. I have also noticed that some times, having particle systems auto activate works fine, but having it off and calling activate() does not do anything.

So first, try getting it to activate manually from its own blueprint. Maybe from begin play or after a delay.

So lets say that you get that working. Sure, you can manually call it to activate from another blueprint like that. But what you should start doing is to make a function in the target blueprint, which activates the PS and then just call that function from other blueprints. It is much cleaner and easier to debug. Imagine that one day you may want to change something, maybe play a sound. Well now you have to chase down every place that activates the particle system. So if you have that spread out over many blueprints, it’s a mess. If you have it inside a function, it’s easy as pie.
As a general good practice rule of course.

Awesome! Worked great, thank you so much! :slight_smile: Glad to see I’m not the only one with particle woes!