Download

Unreal Engine 4.9 Released!

We know Adam. We just want you to know what we are experiencing with our projects so the team at Epic has some more information to go one during their bug fixes.

Sadly,turning on DOF on metal enabled ios devices will still crashes the game in 4.9.1

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...on-on-ios.html

Any information on that?Thanks!

Are you talking about LONG directory names? Like F:\Perforce\Nsomnia-PC-Workspace\SeptJam\Content\Blueprints\Widgets\HUD\mainHUD.uasset?

Hi Nsomnia,
I had even longer ones. The sad part was that many of the items the engine picked on weren’t even in use by my project, they where included in parts of assets packs that I didn’t use. Next time I plan on putting together my GameJam project and doing a compile right from the start to see where there are problems with the assets packs. While I was able to delete some of the stuff, other items where it use which made things problematic at best. And I did try to fix it which ended up killing the project at about 4pm. It took me another 4 hours to restore stuff back into working order in the editor but compiling it still down at this time.

Something else to keep in mind that when you have compile times in the 2+ hour range, you don’t have many tries at getting right on Sunday. Add to it the fact that it takes me 5+ hours to upload a GameJam project means that it has to be working for me at 3 MST time to make my deadlines. Of course, that’s part of the challenge of building a game that’s interesting. At least the good news is that I probably wouldn’t have that issue next month when it counts as I’ve learned that lesson this month. So it’s not all bad news. I did learn a bunch of cool stuff with level design so I’m still happy with the results. If you want, there is a developer video of the game I built at the following link.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B7_FRT-laK3KVU9XMzlTVUVmX0k

Let me know what you think of the video as that’s all I am going to get for this months efforts. I thought I managed to get some really cool lighting effects on this project.

If you can’t cut the directory names length

subst

a drive letter to the highest meaningful directory (ie. the projects dir) might be of great help.

Amazing, good work :D!!

Can someone clarify what “Rev Oculus SDK to 0.7 / 0.6.18” means?

Particularly the Rev. I have yet to update my Oculus runtime to 0.7 (still working on 0.6), because i’ve heard UE4.9 wasn’t yet fully compatible. Am I wrong? Would it be wise to update to 4.9.1 and runtime 0.7? Any performance gains?

With 4.9.1, we have updated the Oculus runtimes to 0.7.0 (Desktop) and 0.6.1 (Mobile)

Thank you thank you thank you for this quick fix Epic. Downloading now to check it out :smiley:

Didn’t tried 4.9.1 yet, but let me thank you by 4.9.

• UMG looks a lot more responsive.
  • A “LOT” from my Log warnings gone away, I just still with a boring one when using CreateDynamicMaterialInstance( ) with some skeletalmeshes dunno if is caused by the parentmesh from the component having more materials because Cloth or 2Sided Mats. But nothing serious.
  • Did you changed the dynamic shadows? Could be just me, but they looks a lot more defined!
    Among others…

Thank you!

Hi all,
it seems that 4.9.1 doesn´t allow loading of animated FBX files?

Please post this to the answerhub in the bug reports section so we can assist you more in depth. You can find a link to the bug reports section in my signature.

thanks, will do so. :slight_smile:

4.9.1 Works! (pretty much)
thanks for all the work Epic people

quick test game in this build and it only crashed once :slight_smile:

I’m trying to update 4.9 to 4.9.1, but it’s saying it wants 15gb for the update?
Is this an update or a complete version install?

this keeps popping up in 4.9.1
didn’t think nothing of it when created a standard template First Person Shooter but got it again after re-opening the project. (no changes were made & didn’t even save it) but project works n plays normal tho’ :eek:

Error /Game/FirstPersonBP/Maps/FirstPersonExampleMap : Failed import for SkeletalMeshComponent /Game/FirstPersonBP/Blueprints/FirstPersonCharacter.FirstPersonCharacter_C:SkeletalMesh_GEN_VARIABLE

““UE-18482 Various engine materials fail to compile due to too many texture coordinate sets in use””

When does this get fixed?

Hi reok,

This has already been fixed internally. I do not have an exact timeframe of when the fix will be implemented but it should make it into a future release.

Thanks a lot! Looking forward to it in 4.9.2!

Then we are able to use the same material setup we used back in 4.8 without any errors. Thank you!

Epic are being very quiet at the moment regarding updates.

I haven’t moved to 4.9 yet as there were initially a reported issue when moving from the TADP to its replacement. Is it worth moving to 4.9 or holding out for a 4.10 preview within the next couple of weeks?