Download

Unreal Engine 4.20 Preview

I was joking obviously, @Zeblote was right, it’s more than likely that it relates to the upcoming action rpg content example.

Apologies if this has been discussed already somewhere, but has anyone looked into the new “Volume Texture” asset type? It seems like it should be pretty straightforward to use in that it takes in slices from a packed 2D texture, but so far all I’ve been able to do is make the editor crash immediately.

I’m also not sure how/when to actually sample from the 3D texture. I’d assume that it works with volumetric fog, and maybe some kind of ray marching tutorial, but other than that I’m not sure.

Good morning.
with the new release 4.20 preview 5 I can no longer create new Unreal Studio Product View projects because when I start my project, it tells me that it can not access a plugin
staticMeshEditorExtension failed to load …
in the attached two messages that appear to me. can I bypass the problem?
Thank you
Giorgio (GiDiO) D.E.

Is it allready on steam or not ?! Aswell people recomend me an website with wheels size calculator by the make of the car please?! i found that one Wheel & Tire Size Calculator – Tire Reviews witch is really great but to comapre?!

Following on from fix of UE-60969 (relative include path issue in build rules), I’m still getting failed plugin builds on preview 5.

I now get compilation failures with inability to locate #includes from engine module dependencies. If I have a module dependency specified and #include “File-name-only.h” for a header somewhere in the other module’s public folder, it fails. Seems that public include paths aren’t being propagated correctly.

Same problem… relative include fails… i have preview 3 though, so i’ll try to update on the launcher if it’s available there

Edit: Just tested with Preview5, it did throw me the warnings but it did compile, so maybe i’ll have to reset and re-check

Found a crash with HISM (Hierarchical Instanced Static Mesh) components used in native classes and expanded on Blueprints.
Added description and test files in answerhub. Filed a bug report as well.
https://answers.unrealengine.com/que…-class-wi.html

Update: Found a workaround. Use only C++.
It seems the problem (and also a visual one in my other post) is related only to Blueprints. If the class using HISMCs is purely native, no crashes occur. But even the class’s children have to be native. Any Blueprint intervention and it crashes.

HISM components set to static mobility have lightmap sampling errors in edit mode after the Lightmass build. But on Play/Simulate they look like expected. Attached image demonstrates the issue.

I’ve reproduced it by adding an EmptyActor to the level with two HISM components and some instances added to them. Set the HISM components to Static and built the light.
I’ve also attached my system specs.

Edit: it seems to only happen on HISMCs inside Blueprints. Even if it is a blueprint that is a child of a native class and the native class instantiated the HISMC. But it’s not happening with purely native instantiated HISMCs.

I’m finding it very weird that no one seems to be bringing up anything about the HISM component. I’ve been having problems with it on 4.20 since I started testing it on preview 2. But only this week I’ve had the time to set up reproduction steps.

I’m really thrilled about this release. Been loving to work with Layered Materials, but in 4.19 you can’t reorder them and sometimes it takes more than 5 minutes to re-setup materials above a new inserted one that should go in the middle of the others. It’ll be very sad to have to stick to 4.19 because of HISM bugs. And I’m using them a lot. It’s a huge environment with several repeated pieces. Not to mention the new DoF that’s awesome for showing the work to your customer.

I’m also using HISMCs a lot, and actually, there’s a very horrible bug with HISMCs in both 4.19 and 4.20:

This is how it looks like when you call AddInstance in 4.18:

And this is 4.19 and 4.20:

So adding instances on runtime is completely broken visually if you have any wind in your level, the wind seems to get reset for all existing instances when new ones are added in 4.19 and 4.20.

This breaks my game unfortunately, so I very much hope it get’s fixed soon.

I’ve posted about it on the AH too: Very bad regression with AddInstance for HISMC in 4.19, wind gets reset for all existing instances - UE4 AnswerHub

How does the wind system work in Unreal? Is it animated by a time variable?

Those trees are using the Speedtree wind node, which is more complex I guess.

Per instance random gets generated once again ? (speedtree shader uses time & perInstanceRandom)

Did you file a bur report already. Would love to upvote the issue :smiley: as I did with your AH post :smiley:

I found the cause of the problem by comparing the two DefaultEngine.ini from 4.19 and 4.20 when creating a AR Template project.

It’s this setting in 4.19:

r.PostProcessing.PropagateAlpha=False

which is changed in 4.20 to:

r.PostProcessing.PropagateAlpha=0

When I change this in my project it works in 4.20 :slight_smile: Pretty annoying though and I guess everyone upgrading their AR project will run into this.

This is because mac os is not whitelisted in plugins (mixed reality and opencv). I’ve added Mac to whitelist and everything works fine.

Looking at the HISMC code, it should not generate the per instance random again. Regenerating the random stream is disabled when a new instance is added, so if there’s a bug with that then I assume it’s not in the HISMC code but somewhere deeper.

Yes, I submitted it to Epic, including the repro project. Have not heard anything back from them though.

Actually, that HISMC bug is even worse, it also happens when you update **any **existinginstance, not just when you add new ones. So if you have trees that are growing or anything similar, all existing instances will get their wind reset:

Edit:

Actually, we found a “fix”: If there’s any static mesh existing and visible with the same mesh like the HISMC, the issue does not appear.

Sweet! The project generator for CLion appears to be fixed since Preview 4. The CMakeList is there and from what I’ve observed, I needed to launch CLion twice so that it can load the project structure.
A few things aren’t picked up from the code completion, like GetWorld()->GetDeltaSeconds() as an example. Nothing to be worried about.

Time to play more with it and see how the refactoring will work :smiley:

And that’s why, toghether with the bug report, I post it on answerhub bug session. So that others can help/be helped with discovered workarounds.