Download

Unreal Engine 4.13 Preview

I see now. Thanks that makes sense.

Cheers
Fred

i remember something about contact shadows in 4.13 (had seen a video about it…)
will this not be implemented in 4.13 anymore ?
kind regards
stucki

This update added nearly everything we had to roll ourselves for the project we currently building. UV hit traces, easier material on quad to RenderTargets, a bunch of pose stuff… All we need is a full featured VR forward renderer :wink:

Expanded notes have been added to the first post in this thread. Please be aware this only touches on some of the updates and new features in this 4.13 Preview. It is not intended to be a comprehensive list, but enough to allow you to test out some of the new functionality in order to help find issues. Full release notes will be available with the 4.13 release in a few weeks.

Cheers

Great release - so many tasty features!

Line trace rendering in VR seems to be broken - it renders only for the right eye (in two different locations). This also seems to affect WidgetInteraction debug info.

Also I noticed line traces seem to lag behind VR motion controllers - probably because of late update, not sure if this is a regression.

Thanks

EDIT: WidgetInteraction works great :slight_smile:

How does the media framework function? I create a source, create a media player, texture for the material, in blueprint open the appropriate source for that media player, play it. I get video but no audio from my video file. Do I have to import the audio as a wav or something still? I hear the audio playing within the media player preview, just not in the game.

Forward rendering in 4.13 is super early, only the first checkin of many really, and not ready for general use. That’s why it’s not being announced in this release. I expect it will be ready for use in 4.14.

The only things working in 4.13 are the actual forward rendering of multiple lights, with dynamic shadows from stationary lights on opaque. No MSAA (which is the whole point of forward), no significant performance gains, no blended reflection captures, no shadow receiving on translucency or even support for translucency lighting modes.

I can’t read that without logging into facebook on their site which I have no intention of doing. I’m not aware of any realtime GI related changes.

Full info with screenshots will be in the 4.13 release notes but for now there’s this:

“Drawing to render targets from Blueprint. Blueprint functions can be used to draw materials into render targets. This enables a huge variety of game-specific rendering effects to be implemented without having to modify source code.
The new Blueprint function DrawMaterialToRenderTarget draws a quad filling the destination render target with the EmissiveColor input in the material.
For more advanced drawing to a render target, use Begin/EndDrawCanvasToRenderTarget. These allow multiple draws to a subset of the render target efficiently, as well as font drawing methods through the Canvas object.”

Hopefully we can get an example in releasable form for 4.13.

The answer is… forward rendering

Capsule shadows are the only supported dynamic AO method. SSAO could be made to work but it’s super low priority due to SSAO generally being terrible in VR (mismatch between eyes causes strain), which is what the forward renderer is targeted at.

Contact shadows are usable in 4.13 with the light property ContactShadowLength. They need some more usability work though so we are not announcing them as a feature in this release.

I’m still interested in an answer. @DanielW can you please shine some light? :slight_smile:

Thanks for the answer!

I absolutely need SSAO in my VR project, and I never noticed any problems with that, I have it set to lowest quality but TAA works really well with blurring it so much that it still looks great. I’ve never noticed any difference between the two eyes and SSAO. I really want to use the forward renderer since I need as much performance as possible in VR, but I won’t be able to use it if it won’t support SSAO. I know I’d have to switch to the gaussian blur when using MSAA instead of TAA, but that’s not much of a problem I think.

Are you sure there’s any noticeable problem in VR with SSAO? I used it for months now and I’m quite sure I would have noticed if it wouldn’t look right. I use SSAO mostly to replace dynamic shadows since they are so expensive, and it’s great at faking those shadows with the right settings.

THIS! A THOUSAND TIMES, THIS!

Everyone go vote for UE-29885 and UE-29024!!! Mac and Linux lost the ability for the right-click-context menu in blueprints to auto-focus when 4.11 was introduced. And Epic doesn’t seem to care. This affects me constantly.

VOTE!!!

In the livestream today they said that setting improves VR rendering performance by up to ~10%

Osman mentioned Mesh Decals on Twitter, do you have more details on these? Cheers!

I was just going to ask the same thing… Any info about Mesh Decals?

Is media playback or video playback working on the mac yet or not? gmpreussner said he was working on it last week?

no AR support, like google’s tango and microsoft holoens??
I really want that, please…

It’s a same as on other platforms:

Restrictions are: project needs MobileHDR enabled and only PostProcessInput0 is supported.

So when do we get the live stream recap on youtube because most of us can’t actually watch those things. Mainly because twitch is broken on mobile but hey not your issue.

Thanks,maybe the outline effect still cannot be turned on mobile right?Since the material requires the scenetexture:CustomDepth node which is still not supported on mobile.So is there an alternative to show that outline effect?Thanks!

Seems in C++ the Procedural Mesh Component is broken, if you try to add it to an existing class or to create a new Procedural Mesh Component class (both via a C++ or Blueprint project) it fail on compile do a ‘FKConvexElem’ not defined class, can someone confirm?

EDIT:

Meanwhile i reported as bug on answerhub here.

Was there anything in the stream related to mesh decals?