Unreal crahes on load SEGV_MAPERR at 0x3f8

Hi. I’m running 4.20 on my Mac.
My Mac specs are MacBookPro 2017
High Sierra Version 10.13.6
2.8GHz i7

Accidentally hit compile and there was just the word “class” on a line in my gamemodebase.h file and then Unreal crashed
and can load the Epic Launcher to see my projects but can’t load my specific project. Keeps crashing at 71% on loading.

SEGV_MAPERR at 0x3f8

AGameModeBase::AGameModeBase() Address = 0x15cefa3cc [/Users/me/Desktop/Unreal Projects/Assign1/Source/Assign1/AGameModeBase.cpp, line 20] [in UE4Editor-Assign1-2701.dylib]
UClass::CreateDefaultObject() Address = 0x10673b0d4 (filename not found) [in UE4Editor-CoreUObject.dylib]

I’ve had a look at a few posts but any tips would be great…as you can prob tell from my pathname its for an assignment :slight_smile:

Thx

Are you saying you’ve added invalid code to your project and the engine crashes on launch?

I wouldn’t call that surprising or a bug tbh… the fix is surely to remove the broken code?

Yeah i tried. I opened the .h file and just deleted the line that was causing the problem but no luck. When I restart the project it stops at 71%. It actually happened to me with a different project a couple of weeks ago. I mean I get that it might crash if it doesn’t compile properly but to not be able to load at all is a bit annoying.

Either of them happening is surprising to be honest, if it’s invalid code it just shouldn’t compile… Maybe Mac/XCode does something different that I’m not aware of.

71% is usually something like your game module can’t be loaded, which sometimes means invalid requirements in build.cs or something. There’s probably still an issue there somewhere. My only suggestion is to make small changes and compile often until you can diagnose the problem.