Unreal Cowboy Demo with cross-hair aiming - How ?

Hi,

Generally speaking it is a third person camera setup with aiming animations. I´ve been also following Tesla´s Twich Stream Game Development (third person “GTA style”) tutorials.

If I move the mouse around, the character follows the movement with the weapon (AimOffsets) and this is a nice effect, but I was wondering how to implement an aiming cross-hair so that the player knows what he is aiming at.

Can anybody please tell me how to set up third person aiming with a crosshair or point me in the right direction? I haven´t seen any tutorials about this.

Thankful for your help,
Michael

For my project, I draw a “Crosshair” widget in the center of the screen and do a line trace from that location forward to figure out where my “hit” point is, here is a screenshot of my widget, and the blueprint to make it show up on the screen.

Here is what the blueprint for firing the weapon looks like - you can ignore the “Calculate Spread” node, its a small function to randomize the hit point of automatic weapons:

Once I get the hit location, I can add additional logic for adding damage to players, spawning particle effects, adding bullet decals, etc.

And for reference, here is what this looks like in motion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vUN_FeaWIc

Hope this helps!

Wow, thanks a lot for your help. I hope I find the time to try it out this weekend. :slight_smile:

EDIT: So simple :slight_smile: . Works, thanks again!