UE5 is coming ~ What do you want?

I would like to see better persistence handling.
Ideally actors should have an option to persist across levels. all their variables unchanged with level loads.

Also it would be great if UE5 was more modular component based system like unity and pretty much all other engines.

And lastly C# support or better scripting language.

There are save Plugins for that. My own plug-in included can do that.

Unreal have Actor/Component system.

Do you know why Unity can take up to a MINUTE to enter Play Mode on editor for larger projects?
Because Unity use C# and a big portion of Unity Editor is written in C#.

Do you know why Unreal enters Play Mode on Editor INSTANTLY even when your project is several hundred gigabytes large?
Because Unreal’s Editor is not written in C# and doesn’t rely on Mono VM to run.

C# could be useful, for scripting isolated gameplay elements only.
They should never wrap the editor or entire game runtime into C# world. If Epic add official C# support they would be forced to add editor support for the language and that would drag editor performance to very bad levels.

Python could be an alternative, but python is unsafe and slow too. You can add and remove properties to a python class at runtime, a buffet for gamecheats.

“There are save Plugins for that. My own plug-in included can do that.”

I know there are plugins but plugins “save systems” vs persistent object is a big difference in time and effort.
instead of using a save system i could just use a game instance and save each variable in there but again this is tedious compared to simply making an object persistent as you would do in unity “don’t destroy onload” and you are done.

The type of games i make are a hybrid between strategy and action… its my own fusion im trying to make so it becomes a struggle with UE4.
I know its possible but its going to take much longer and become very messy compared to using unity.

EDIT:
well it seems i wasnt using levels properly. now the persistence issue isnt so bad.

“Do you know why Unity can take up to a MINUTE to enter Play Mode on editor for larger projects?
Because Unity use C# and a big portion of Unity Editor is written in C#.”

yeah one of my two year developed projects did slow down quite a bit entering playmode but it was more like 15 seconds. not too bad though. but its how long is a piece of string kind of thing.

C# could be useful, for scripting isolated gameplay elements only.
They should never wrap the editor or entire game runtime into C# world. If Epic add official C# support they would be forced to add editor support for the language and that would drag editor performance to very bad levels.

Yeah i totally agree with this. only used for isolated gameplay is enough for me but its not a biggy anyway, Epic has done a great job with blueprints.

I hope Lumen will be better than VXGI performance wise atleast or not to much performance loss, It already looks to be much better than vxgi in terms of quality. Hopefully Lumen will affect GI if its emissive material like VXGI does. Nanite unlimited polycount! omg think of the vegetation models we could use. I am very intrigued by Nanite. Hopefully it is as good as the claims!

Absolute complete noob tutorials, NO the one thats there is not newb friendly it assumes you know some stuff. I really want to understand stuff and not just copy paste what i’m being told to.
Look at what Dreams accomplished as a game, help one mans dream be just a little less impossible… Pls

I’d like to second the request for releasing (absolute minimum) feature-set- and system- -requirements. I am german, i like planning things. Joke aside, the absolute minimum would be more than fine to know, as i do prefer to use:

• AMD Radeon Pro/FirePro
  • NVidia Quadro

series cards.

Why? Because they are super conservative in there settings, meaning performance-wise on the low-end of the equivalent/same-chipset models for gamers, but extreme stable in long-long-long-term-use, as applies for editing/rendering. It is easy and affordable to get battle-proven refurbished cards, which provides the creator to get a foot in the door when it comes to learning to use the editor, as well as for having a minimum-performance reference-system.

So, please: Publish detailed requirements for minimum featuresets of gpus/cpus as early as possible. And maybe this time even be that brave to give straight away what cards your house-internal developers use for testing and creating UnrealEngine5.

Thanks.

… all Best.

1 Like

Would love anything that connects with my animation projects!
We love the render in unreal, and just make sure my animated characters are transferred to UE4 safely without problem would help a lot!
Any recommendations tools?

I’d rather see a custom language based on blueprints. GDScript in Godot is a great example of a gameplay language done right. Integrating languages that don’t have 100% parity is a huge nightmare. I’d rather not see UE5 go the Unity route where they reimplement the entire c# language to make it work well with their C++ code.

Support for Windows Mixed Reality, specifically HP Reverb G2.

Yeah I prefer to use multiple languages because I like using C++

I hope UE5 has MUCH better Anti-Aliasing and support for Mesh Shader and Sampler Feedback.

I second this

I am new in this forum an on UE, but I wish an easier way to save rendered images (not the screen shoot). And I wish a stable importer ( at the moment it will not recognize c4d files, strange).
A water system that recognizes objects and interact with them (wakes on moving ships, foam at rocks or shore ).

Proper HTML5 support via WebGPU, and WebXR.

3 Likes

Is it really coming any time soon?
I want 4.27 and 4.28 before UE5.

:open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth:

I want tessellation and displacement back.

1 Like

I’d settle for an engine that actually works as intended. Without all the BS and hoops to jump around in order to get a scene to run around 30fps in native 4k when empty.

Like MostHost, I, too, would prefer a focus on stability and verification of each feature.
Just, like, an automated integration/unit test for each feature would go a long way.

Currently, it seems “Play Slot Animation” just doesn’t work anymore in 4.26. (I’ve seen multiple people say the same thing, it used to work, and the montage plays fine as a top-level montage.) But, there’s always something.

A real focus on quality, and especially automatically-enforced quality (where you can’t ship a feature unless you have automated tests that defend it) would be the real innovation.

Since i am Working as a Unreal Engine Game Developer in Game App Studio we Working on a Latest Game Development Project Using Unreal engine. I wish some Interesting things from Unreal Engine Developers Like

• Anti-Aliasing
  • Mesh Shader and Sampler
  • simpler scripting language
  • early access to the newer toolsets
  • graphic
  • runtime performance
  • proper support for shader plugins
  • fully integrated environment like UDK
  • Realtime global illumination tech
  • An A.I. solution that allows Navmesh

this, absolutely!