UE5 final version will be released until 2022? What’s on your wishlist?

The final goal for Nanite regarding bandwidth and scale of the targeted plattforms goes from phones/tablets to filmproduction.
And there are already games with more than 150 GB outthere.
There are things like total install-size but also the needed latency and bandwidth of the storage.
Yes i think there is almost no sense in 8K textures if the target plattforms mainly consist of FullHD users, but for UHD/4K players the game could look underwhelming if you top out too lowres.
So every scope of targets has useful maxima and minima.

1 Like

Did you read our previous reply to this? Because it doesn’t seems so. It seems you just decided that you have to stay on low poly no matter what. As already said by multiple people, Nanite is good even for lowpoly.

Yes, I get it, that Nanite is good for low poly… obviously, I was not talking about visuals and performance… I was talking about project size and build size (packaging).

I still remember when I downloaded FIFA and it took like 4 days and my Internet connection was actually great, but that’s also not a problem… LOL the problem is that you are not only targeting people with super computers when you develop a game, and most people play games from PC’s with basic gaming specs… not everybody has access to RTX (specially now that prices are up to the roof… crazy), basic computers might just include 1 TB or less, and in terms of laptops for most cases you can not increase your drive space as easy, others can´t or you won’t do it just because you wanna play a game LOL, just imagine how many people won’t buy your game because they just don’t have space to install it…; it actually happened to me a long time ago, I used external drives and they do not always work, sometimes is hard to update, etc. EVEN… UE4 uses a cache file in C: (DerivedDataCache) and it is impossible to change it to E or D (where normally you have more drive space), and that C: cache folder might be 150GB or more, just from working with UE projects, and if you delete the cache you have to compile every project again, it might be around 1 to 3 hours per project.

Developer wise, working with large individual assets with no optimization is not a good idea, right now, AAA companies are still working as optimized as before, and they keep requesting LODS or other types of optimization, even some that are already working with UE5 and I talk from experience, not guessing.

Anyway, I wanted people to make list requests for UE5, and nobody is sharing their Wishlist’s, please do!

Nanite has already a good compression system where even millions of polygons do not take much space compared to 4k normal maps for example and they already said it will improve. The problem is real for developers at the moment where you need to have different versions of the same asset. I also expect a big evolution around geometry, similar to what happened to textures over the years, people will find smart ways to add detail. It’s just too soon to judge right now, but it looks promessing to me.

I would really like to see a culling method that doesn’t have the one frame delay. Improved translucency (OIT) seems to already be happening.

1 Like

Wishlist:

• Editor gives warning before you do something that will crash it so you can do it differently
  • A good water plugin, and the ability to easily make things buoyant
  • Buoyancy markers while assigning them
  • Planetary mass (biome basically)… I thought this was a UE5 thing? Could never find info on this.
  • I’ve had issues with culling, would love to see improvements on this
  • Bring back tessellation support, I believe they canned this?
  • Auto convert non-editable landscape to nanite
  • Work with nvidia with their new LOD system that permits translucent and animated mesh like nanite

I don’t think any of these will happen but I can dream right?

1 Like

Lumen for VR.

It’s hard to understate how revolutionary that would be.

2 Likes

Comprehensive audio mixing & profiling tools

1 Like

Lumen in the land of nanite demo

2 Likes

If one has a project that uses Substance , then he can’t move that project to UE5 , right?

Physx is very fast because it is using physics solver that is not accurate - as long as its look is believable and game can use it - that is the mantra behind it.

I think there is no way chaos can be as fast as Physx but Chaos can be a better physics engine in term of accuracy etc…

…OR PhysX is very fast because it is well optimized :slight_smile:

You could get more accuracy from PhysX by simply upgrading to PhysX 4 (which Unreal never bothered doing). See for example: GDC Vault - PhysX 4: Raising the Fidelity and Performance of Physics Simulation in Games (Presented by NVIDIA)

1 Like

Because I remember Pierre Terdiman’s (the creator or one of the creators?) blog mentioning about Physx being extremely fast because it chose to be less accurate…
Optimization is correct too, but those optimizations are no longer ‘top secret’ and can be copied over other physics library.

But as far as I know Chaos made the same choices. It is using a Gauss-Seidel solver just like PhysX… The problem with accurate / exact solvers of the past is that they don’t scale. From what I understand Chaos currently doesn’t scale either… while using an inaccurate solver as well! So yes of course they “could” and they “might” and “maybe” they will eventually offer something better, but the current situation is that it’s neither faster nor more accurate than what came before (correct me if I’m wrong).

1 Like

What’s mainly on my wish list for a native iPadOS app of UE5 and for Apple and Unreal to be able to collaborate so as to bring this beautiful piece of tech to the current iPad Pro that’s running Apple’s M1 SOC. There’s a lot of power under the hood with up to 16GB RAM and the M1 outshining most Intel chips but there’s almost no game developer or film software outside of Swift Playgrounds and LumaFusion. There’s mention in the FAQ’s of UE5 supporting iOS but I believe that’s referencing exporting games to iOS and not actually having the UE5 installable. Maybe Epic will surprise us with a late holiday “one more thing” and finally bring it to iPadOS. Ah to dream the dream.

1 Like

That’s exactly, why we need “gravity in all directions”, not just up-down, without that… we can´t create spherical planets, or IA navigation to any direction, or a center point of gravity for vehicles.

I have tested almost all gravity plugins in the marketplace, non works 100%, some work in UE and then after you package the project they don’t or they fail, non works with IA, and no compatibility to most consoles.

2 Likes

It is not faster at all and not accurate, but it is also a crashing machine, it has a lot of bugs, an framerate is terrible, I tried to build a house and break it, and FPS dropped from 120 to 35FPS, I duplicated the house 35 times, now the project starts at 57FPS, and If I destroy 1 house It drops to 8 - 12FPS.

I’m really hoping they can do it. It would be An amazing combination, but even UE4 I’m ok with. I just want something

At this point I don’t think they’re releasing it this year, but it’s funny for the UE5 preview to be behind 4.27 in some ways.

If they do release it now, any big bugs might clash with December holidays and all, which is never ideal.

I hope we’ll FINALLY get folders for the foliage editor. Once you have dozens of assets, it becomes a nightmare to search through.

4 Likes