UE4 as a model viewer? Just a thought experiment.

I just had a thought. I’m not a programmer and I’m not sure if this is feasible, but what the heck, huh? I wanted to actually make a game on Linux now that UE4 is/should be dropping in the next few months. The problem is that the DCC/Content tools really aren’t there, especially in the texturing department on Linux. There’s Blender, of course, and GIMP (Along with Maya, Modo, Softimage, Mudbox) but there isn’t really an a) standalone model viewer like Marmoset or b) any texturing apps like Substance that supports PBR (thought Allegorithmic is purportedly porting Substance Designer for Linux). Since we have source access with UE4 how hard would it be to cook up a basic model viewer so you could preview your models exactly how they would look in your scene without having to go through all the importing? It would have maybe 2 or 3 environments and lighting profiles and would just import the meshes and materials into the scene and have basic controls over lighting/rotation/scale whatever. Just a thought. Maybe someone wants a programming project? I’d pay 10 bucks for this.

In theory not that hard to do, but sadly it involves a lot of work and some deep digging in source code.

Main problem is that the FBX importer is tied to the editor (included in UnrealEd) and does not get compiled with a shipped executable. Means you have to move all of that code somewhere else (e.g. your own plugin).

So I wouldn’t expect anyone to take on this task. However, if Epic ever exposes the code to it’s own plugin this would be somehthing I might be interested in to program :wink: