UE 4.9.2 Crashing on Load Every Time

Beginning last night, my copy of UE4.9.2 continually crashes when opening the editor. I really had no major crashing issues prior to then, but now, no matter what 4.9 project I open, I crash when it hits the ‘Initializing… 45%’ point. I have run verify on the engine, and when that didn’t solve it, completely uninstalled and reinstalled 4.9.2, but the problem persists. I can’t open ANY 4.9 projects now so my work is at a standstill. I can’t even open up the editor to make a new project. Please note that I have no issues with 4.8.3 projects.

This is the error I receive when trying to open the editor to create a new project (rather than loading an existing project):

MachineId:C1488EFB4BE401A22314269496FB59D4
EpicAccountId:b356a93df5004545a18d370b19c5da86

Access violation - code c0000005 (first/second chance not available)

“”

msvcr120
UE4Editor_Core!FGenericPlatformString::LogBogusChars() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\genericplatform\genericplatformstring.cpp:38]
UE4Editor_Core!operator<<() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\core\private\containers\string.cpp:1075]
UE4Editor_ShaderCore!FShader::SerializeBase() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\shadercore\private\shader.cpp:864]
UE4Editor_Engine!TShaderMap::SerializeInline() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\shadercore\public\shader.h:1160]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMaterialShaderMap::Serialize() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\materialshader.cpp:1690]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMaterialShaderMap::LoadFromDerivedDataCache() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\materialshader.cpp:782]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMaterial::CacheShaders() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\materialshared.cpp:1337]
UE4Editor_Engine!FMaterial::CacheShaders() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\materialshared.cpp:1289]
UE4Editor_Engine!UMaterial::CacheShadersForResources() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\material.cpp:1839]
UE4Editor_Engine!UMaterial::CacheResourceShadersForRendering() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\material.cpp:1757]
UE4Editor_Engine!UMaterial::PostLoad() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\material.cpp:2371]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ConditionalPostLoad() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\obj.cpp:723]
UE4Editor_Engine!UMaterialInterface::PostLoadDefaultMaterials() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\material.cpp:386]
UE4Editor_Engine!UMaterial::PostLoad() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\engine\private\materials\material.cpp:2220]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObject::ConditionalPostLoad() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\obj.cpp:723]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!EndLoad() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1285]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!LoadPackageInternal() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:1041]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!ResolveName() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:680]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObjectInternal() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:767]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!StaticLoadObject() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectglobals.cpp:831]
UE4Editor_UMG!ConstructorHelpersInternal::FindOrLoadObject() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\public\uobject\constructorhelpers.h:32]
UE4Editor_UMG!ConstructorHelpers::FObjectFinder::FObjectFinder() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\public\uobject\constructorhelpers.h:99]
UE4Editor_UMG!UWidgetComponent::UWidgetComponent() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\umg\private\components\widgetcomponent.cpp:502]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UClass::CreateDefaultObject() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\class.cpp:2657]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!UObjectLoadAllCompiledInDefaultProperties() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectbase.cpp:729]
UE4Editor_CoreUObject!ProcessNewlyLoadedUObjects() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\coreuobject\private\uobject\uobjectbase.cpp:815]
UE4Editor!FEngineLoop::PreInit() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launchengineloop.cpp:1392]
UE4Editor!GuardedMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\launch.cpp:110]
UE4Editor!GuardedMainWrapper() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:126]
UE4Editor!WinMain() [d:\buildfarm\buildmachine_++depot+ue4-releases+4.9\engine\source\runtime\launch\private\windows\launchwindows.cpp:200]

Hi Darkholder -

From what I am seeing in your logs and crash report, it looks like there may be an issue with the DerivedDataCache that the engine is using. So, go into your Epic Games Engine Installation Folder, usually C:\Program Files\Epic Games\4.9\Engine\ and delete any Derived Data Cache Folders and all contents. You will also want to do that for any projects as well.

Finally you will want to go to C:\Users[Your User Name on the PC]\AppData\Local\UnrealEngine\4.9\ and again delete the Derived Data Cache Subfolder, you will need to see Hidden Files for this part of the operation.

After doing all the deletions, go back to the launcher and attempt to open a 4.9.2 project again. With the DDC folders gone, the engine will have to rebuild a lot of files so the first time it opens it might take a while, but hopefully this will get you unsuck and back to it.

Let me know if this does not fix up the issue for you OR if the call stack you get when you crash changes.

Thank You

Eric Ketchum