UE 4.14 vs. 4.16

Hi everyone,

For my first simple game I plan on making a basic prototype, probably without an materials or effects or even any animations, very minimal as you can tell.

I am currently using V4.14, do you think it would be worth me upgrading to V4.16 for my final game, mainly for the additional blueprint functionality of being able to convert blueprints to C++ (I think it’s refered to as blueprint nativisation).

My only arguments against this are; will my blueprints from 4.14 successfully work once migrated to 4.14? and that I have been using UE4 since 4.10 and always ended up moving to the next version, I don’t want to keep being attracted to the next version so that I can actually get something finished, i.e. is 4.14 a good enough place to stop or is 4.16 a valid enough update, mainly for this functionality to improve my game;'s end performance.

Thank you, any contribution is appreciated.

Only jump single versions, so migrate from 4.14 to 4.15 first
Then 4.15 to 4.16

IMO it is worth trying to keep up with the newer versions - not only do you get new features, but you get many bug fixes and performance improvements.

imo upgrade engine always… if you check bugfixes and new features its worth i think… started my “game” on 4.11 and updated continuously to 4.15, i had only to replace some deprecated nodes (2-3?) but it was max few hour of workingv(small project)… i think if you dont have 100 000 lines of code then dont be afraid to upgrade project to new version…

Thank you all for your input, I think I’m just going to upgrade to 4.16 and take advantage of the new features from the get go. Cheers!

I would say that if you know what you are doing, you shouldn’t need to worry about Blueprint performance (To the point of upgrading), if it is as you put it, a basic prototype. If you don’t have a lot of content in the project already, it could be a treat to upgrade to the latest version, to take advantage of new features anyways.

4.14 vs 4.16? Well, both are great and extremely powerful. I’m using 4.7.6, and it’s just fine for development. Only recommended that you upgrade if you are using UDk or UE3, which you are not. Anyway, have a great day to whoever is reading this.