UDK Style Shadowed Point Light Reflections

So, after converting over to UE4 there are a few limitations that I don’t like. One of the main ones being no more point light specular reflections. For those of you that saw the 2011 DX11 UDK demo, you’ll remember these reflections coming from the police cars headlights. If you don’t know what I’m on about it’s on YT. Anyway, I was messing around with light source shape or whatever it’s called, but I can’t get the desired effect I want. Can somebody help me with this? I like UE4 I really do, but point light reflections were the best thing in UDK. Even if the engine focuses on realism they should allow developers to create specific styles. It feels limitating almost

You probably just need to put some kind of object where the light should be with an emissive material, then it would be capture by the reflection probes and the screen space reflection effect.

I’ve tried that but it gives me a really weird blob effect, not the streak effect that I want

So, I decided to post some screenshots, because it wouldn’t allow me on my phone. Here’s what I mean:

Hopefully this sheds some light.

What kind of result are you getting? Depending on source radius, attenuation and the ground material’s roughness&normal you can get different looks.

Actually, I think I fixed my problem, it seems to be that you can’t get the effect exactly like this without a spot light. It’s ok, and I think if I had a less rough normal map on my concrete, it would look a little thinner. Thanks for the help guys, but point lights don’t give exactly the same effect, but I ain’t gonna be using them for this sort of thing haha :slight_smile:

EDIT: Spot Lights DO work, all of a sudden, I didn’t have to change the source shape at all, just the attenuation radius, I thought that did nothing haha. Problem solved :slight_smile: