Translucent Cutout?

Hello everyone!

I’m hoping one of you can help me with this issue I’m having. I’ve created a flipbook containing a splash animation. Eventually I would like to use this flipbook in a particle, but I can’t seem to get the shader to work the way I need it to. I’m looking to achieve a translucent cutout effect. Switching to a translucent blend mode distorts the background (view image attached), even with an opacity mask I’ve created. The cutout on the other hand doesn’t offer any refraction, but I like how only the animation is visible. Any ideas on how I can combine the two so that my splash looks like the image on the left and doesn’t distort the background like the image on the right? Thanks for your help!

This is how my graph looks.

Hi thanks for responding.

Remove the refraction if you don’t want the distortion

Edit: Also your normal math is incorrect, which will be negatively impacting the refraction. You’re trying to pull the red and green channels from the red channel, but you need to pull it from the RGB(empty white circle), otherwise with your current setup you’re only increasing the red channel’s strength.