Training Stream - Power Hour - Dec 13th - Live From Epic HQ

Best Wishes & Get Well to

Pls send our regards

Game development will go a lot faster if it was made to be like modding. I would like to be able to have a FPS game i can mod into a Specific FPS game or make a Chimera of an FPS/Racing Game. Most of the time, i just want to take the last game i played, Modify some of the assets, change the gameplay/Fight mechanics and voila the game i wanted to make/play. A simple example is “A simple street fighter-esc game” for Devs/students to modify the attacks, change the character models, change the scene and call the game from mortal kombat to killer instinct(see what i mean there). Or Modding “Dark Souls” into " Pokemon Battle Royal. Another example is the Starcraft Arcade, so many games iterated, and the capital lost from not being able to monetize on these games by the devs. Why doesn’t Unreal engine have that same “ease”?. I hope i wasn’t too repetitive in making my point.

Get that man some soup, zinc, and MSM, get well :frowning:

Get better , @AlanNoon would you mind going over line trace 3d decals?

1] Pretty offtopic questions in a topic about a upcoming live stream on traces??
2] General consensus (thankfully) is that you should not ‘give’ people completely built games, ~35% will just change a few assets and release it as their own (even you admit u wanna do this) and thats just wrong
3] If you really dont wanna learn how to actually use UE4 to make a game yourself (boo!) and just want some ‘skeleton’ projects, look around the marketplace for game projects, plenty to pick from.

The thing is that taking an existing game and changing some assets is lazy and bad, last thing we need is more clone games, there’s hardly any original games left these days, imho mostly because of how big ‘indie’ development has become, and how there is a **** ton of people calling themselves ‘indie developer’ just to try make a quick buck.
I remember when indie devs where actual indie devs, people making a game because they have a cool idea, rather then what it means now-a-days, small companies using funding to make a quick cashgrab game because ‘its hip’

Ontopic:

@;
Get well! :slight_smile:

@ Hosts;
[Question | C++] Can linetraces implement events? (read; ‘delegates’) Similar to OnBeginOverlap and OnEndOverlap for Overlaps, OnLineTraceBeginHit and OnLineTraceEndHit or something?

Get better !

Someone who has more knowledge than me correct me if I’m wrong, but no. Traces can’t implement events and why would they?
If you have a blocking hit your trace stops as soon as it hits and you can query the HitResult for the information you need. On Ignore nothing happens, as is intended.
The more complicated case is Overlap. In the case of a single trace overlap results are treated as a Ignore, in multi traces however you get an array of hits with the last one being the first blocking hit. You then can query the array for the stuff you need. The Overlap hit results are then treated like a blocking hit, only that the trace doesn’t stop.
So there’s your reason why we don’t need events for traces.

@Topic: Get well soon .

How is feeling now?

I do hope you have a stream about traces, I am interested in this. Is it possible to see the old streams? I wasn’t able to see today’s stream from the link.

Hi , i hope got better. Will the Ray Casting stream happen any other time? Also, Alan’s was really good and i’d love to access it again but the video isn’t anywhere! thank you very much.

Sorry but that did not explain why i wouldn’t need events/delegates.

The added value of events (ima just call em that now) is that i dont need to constantly poll/query the HitResult, instead i just wait till the event fires and only then query the Trace, much less resource intensive