Training Livestream - VR Bow and Arrow Tutorial w/ - July 12th

Where will we be able to grab the project files when they are up?

Hey All,

Apologies for the delay, the project had created was based on an internal version of the engine so I wasn’t able to post his exact project.

I can post a 4.12.5 version of the project which has the core mechanics and things we discussed on the stream. You can check it out at the link below.

https://forums.unrealengine.com/showthread.php?118247-Twitch-VR-Bow-And-Arrow-Project-Files&p=570493#post570493

-W

Thanks for this. Also can anyone figure out what is causing what looks like a linebytrace on the bow itself. You can kind of make it out in the screenshot below but it is very noticeable in the HMD. Almost like a red spiderweb. I didn’t see anything in the BP that is linetracebychannel so how do I turn it off?

Does anyone know how to fix this?

Hi Wes can you please get back to me and let me know what is causing those red lines and how I can turn them off thanks.

Hey,

I think you might be referring to the collision box/spheres that are showing with the Bow/Hand BP’s. I know that the Bow BP had its Box Collision property of Hidden in Game to False.

Inside the Bow Blueprint, try re-checking that property.

Inside the BP_LeftHand Blueprint, I noticed that Hidden in Game was already set to False. Not sure why it still shows up when you begin an overlap. I did add the Set Hidden in Game node following the Begin Overlap script and it seemed to hide it when I overlap it now (will have to look into why the property itself gets reset when overlapping).

Give those both a shot and see if it removes the red lines you are seeing.

-W

That worked Wes thanks.

They said they will release the assets that they used

i want to see how that string mesh works with the material he used

where can i find it?

Hi Wes I’m hoping you can help me out with another problem I am having. I set up the bow so it would snap to the left controller when you overlapped it. Beta testers for my game found the grab too awkward because you could grab the bow from the sides. The only problem is that sometimes when you try to pull the string with the right controller it grabs the bow instead. Is there any way to turn off the grab the bow with the right controller but leave on pull the string with the right controller? I can’t see in the the BP.

Hi Wes can you please get back to me on this? I’m releasing my game today and this is a pretty big bug.

Inside the Bow Blueprint, for the GrabPressed function, try adding another Branch following the first Branch off the False that checks to see if it is the Left Hand that has activated Grab.

You should still be able to grab with the left hand hand pull the string with the Right, you won’t be able to grab with the Right hand anymore.

-W

Hi Wes can you let me know what BP that is in your example? The one that says left and it looks lik it has a bool output going into the branch.

Hi Wes I probably wasn’t clear with the last post. I’m referring to this node?

I don’t know what it is called or how to call it up. Is it referencing a new function if so could you show me it so I can copy it.

If you open the Bow Blueprint and the** Grab Pressed** function, you can drag off the Which Hand pin of the Grab Pressed node then use ==.

In the image, I drag off the rerouted node (little green pin) and use the == node and set the enum to Left.

Hi Wes thank you for that. I think that’s fixed the issue for me now. Thanks for taking the time to look into this for me. I really appreciate it.

Is there a project download for this to study?

Cheers.

EDIT: Sorry, found the download, thanks!