Download

Total beginner at game making, but good at 3D animation. UDK4 is gonna be awesome!

So, right off the bat, I know I’m not going to be developing the next big blockbuster game all by myself. But, when I heard about this subscription model, I got totally stoked! I had tried playing with UDK3 before, and it’s pretty much what I expected. I also started watching some of the tutorial videos on Epic’s youtube channel for UKD4. The seemingly ease of which you can create simple environments is staggering!

Now, a little background: I’ve been dabbling in 3D animation for many years, mainly using Lightwave 3D, so I know how to model just about anything, texture, and rig, and just recently started teaching myself Maya (cause i know that’s what a lot of big game developers use). So, I’m wondering, I know UDK4 has been developed to give the “artist” more power and control in making their game without much need for coding. However, I can definitely understand that coding will eventually be involved. The thing is, I know absolutely NOTHING about coding. Oh, I tried a basic C++ class years ago, but it was so foreign to me, I just couldn’t grasp it at all.

Question is, about how complex of a game do you think I would be able to piece together with my knowledge of 3D modeling, texturing, rigging, but NO coding knowledge?

Thanks for the opinions and any advice that could be given! I look forward to learning a great deal from this community! Epic Games rocks for having such an amazing subscription model for such a powerful engine!

That’s not correct, just because Blueprints are not textual code does not mean it is not coding, it is. You will need to understand many programming concepts even in a visual coding environment and when it comes to making complex shaders you will need to understand a good bit of math. Linear Algebra is also something every game developer needs to learn to some extent. My advice would be to at least learn a simple but powerful programming language like python(doesn’t have to be C++ right away) which will give you some experience thinking like a programmer and just take it slowly.

Build a strong enough foundation and you will be able to create anything you can imagine, but start slow. Don’t try to build a game, instead try and build small projects focusing on a single gameplay element, then refine them, tweak them, and then remake them(without referencing the old version) until you understand the concept completely. It may seem like a waste of time, but programming like modeling is nothing more than combining a bunch of small components to make a larger one.

Yeah, that’s kinda what I’ve been thinking. I know that it’ll be a slow process, and that I’m not going to be cranking out even a tiny game anytime soon. Start off fiddling with the tools, learning how to create things, and in the meantime I’m sure I’m going to look into programming. I’ve just always been so horrible at learning other languages, even like Spanish, Japanese, and coding languages! (when taking that C++ class, that’s what it felt like to me, like I was learning a foreign language, but I just wasn’t grasping the “translations”, so to speak!)

I know a few guys that know some programming, maybe they can help me to better understand it in a practical sense.