"The project could not be compiled. Would you like to open it in Visual Studio?"

Hey everyone,

Sorry, if this has been answered already, but I didn’t find anything helping me so I am now posting this thread.

Now getting to the problem:
I start Unreal Engine and want to create a new C++ project with basic code. The selected Options are 1) Desktop/Console, 2) Maximum Quality and 3) With Starter Content.
When I press the Create Project - button is starts building etc. until i get the following error.

Running D:/Epic Games/4.9/Engine/Binaries/DotNET/UnrealBuildTool.exe MyProject858 Development Win64 -project=“C:/Users/Tuukka/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject858/MyProject858.uproject” -rocket -editorrecompile -progress -noubtmakefiles
@progress push 5%
Parsing headers for MyProject858Editor
Running UnrealHeaderTool “C:/Users/Tuukka/Documents/Unreal Projects/MyProject858/MyProject858.uproject” “C:\Users\Tuukka\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject858\Intermediate\Build\Win64\MyProject858Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest” -LogCmds=“loginit warning, logexit warning, logdatabase error” -rocket -installed
D:/Epic Games/4.9/Engine/Source/Runtime/Engine/Classes/GameFramework/CharacterMovementComponent.h(2184) : Expected an include at the top of the header: ‘#include “CharacterMovementComponent.generated.h”’
Error: Failed to generate code for MyProject858Editor - error code: OtherCompilationError (5)
UnrealHeaderTool failed for target ‘MyProject858Editor’ (platform: Win64, module info: C:\Users\Tuukka\Documents\Unreal Projects\MyProject858\Intermediate\Build\Win64\MyProject858Editor\Development\UnrealHeaderTool.manifest).

Since I’m still quite new with both C++ and the Unreal Engine I have no idea how to solve it.

Thanks in advance! :slight_smile:

It seems you’re trying to build engine from source code, considering that you are “still quite new with both C++ and the Unreal Engine” you should just install it from the launcher instead.

The launcher version is compact and easy to maintain and upgrade with each release. Ue4 C++ is fairly complex for C++ beginners so you should avoid using building from source. Also it’s gonna be long time before you’ll need a customized engine if you are just starting to learn it.

I don’t want to sound rude, but if you use launcher installed UE4 then these errors will not show up

He is:

/8chars