Switching between 'DebugGame Editor' and 'Development Editor'

I’ve noticed when I attempt to switch between these two types it appears to incur a pretty nasty recompile. Is this expected or am I doing something wrong?

Ideally, I’d love to have both of these builds built. I’d like to be able to jump to ‘debug’ to get full on debugging and then jump back to ‘development’

Yep, switching between them typically does because a debug dll is quite different than a development dll. Many more debug symbols in the debug one.

Possibly you could limit the recompile time by not allowing the debug dll to get too far behind, or vice versa.

The weird thing is I thought I had them both synced up. The debug dll only needed to compile a .cpp change. I’ll play with it some more later when I get home.

So for everyone else it works just fine? You can switch between configs pretty much no problem hopefully? Maybe I just had bad luck last night

Unfortunately I think something is very fishy with switching builds. I know I’ve just had DebugGame Editor fully built. Then I switched to ‘Development Editor’ (which should have been synced up) and incurred a long recompile (and my changes to my game DLL were very minor, it should not have cause Core engine stuff to recompile). I think this might be due to the tweak I made that speeds up compiles for small projects perhaps that was recommended by Epic. Here is some of the spew I get if I switch projects:

Anyway this is no biggie. For some reason ‘DebugGame Editor’ is running really fast. Not noticing much of a difference between it and ‘Development Editor’. Might try turning off my tweaks to my game DLLs build.cs file at some point though. [edit] eh, looks like I never even changed my build.cs file in this project to speed it up for small projects. Weird.

1>------ Build started: Project: GodSeed, Configuration: DebugGame_Editor x64 ------
1>  Module.Projects.cpp
1>  Module.Sockets.cpp
1>  Module.SandboxFile.cpp
1>  Module.Networking.cpp
1>  Module.Messaging.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-SandboxFile.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-SandboxFile.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-SandboxFile.exp
1>  Module.InputCore.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-Projects.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Projects.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Projects.exp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-Sockets.dll
1>  Module.Slate.3_of_6.cpp
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Sockets.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Sockets.exp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-Networking.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Networking.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Networking.exp
1>  Module.Slate.5_of_6.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-Messaging.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Messaging.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-Messaging.exp
1>  Module.Slate.4_of_6.cpp
1>  Module.Slate.2_of_6.cpp
1>  Module.Slate.1_of_6.cpp
1>  Module.Slate.6_of_6.cpp
1>  Module.RHI.cpp
1>  Module.RenderCore.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-RHI.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-RHI.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-RHI.exp
1>  Module.EngineMessages.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-RenderCore.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-RenderCore.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-RenderCore.exp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-EngineMessages.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-EngineMessages.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-EngineMessages.exp
1>  Module.ImageCore.cpp
1>  Module.ShaderCore.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-ImageCore.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ImageCore.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ImageCore.exp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-ShaderCore.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ShaderCore.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-ShaderCore.exp
1>  Module.LogVisualizer.cpp
1>  link.exe UE4Editor-InputCore.dll
1>     Creating library C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-InputCore.lib and object C:\Users\Family\Documents\GitHub\UnrealEngine\Engine\Intermediate\Build\Win64\UE4Editor\Development\UE4Editor-InputCore.exp
1>  Module.CollisionAnalyzer.cpp