Specifier Editor - Visual Studio Extension for creating/editing UE4 Specifier Tags!

Hey, I finally got to working on this a bit, and have uploaded a new version.

Key changes include some parsing improvements, quick hyperlink buttons to documentation, and configuration fixes. I also thoroughly tested this time to make sure the vsix package works properly with VS2015 and 2017, so hopefully there should not be any errors involving that anymore.

See first post for instructions if needed. The changelog is below:

• The edit specifier command now starts parsing from the beginning of the line instead of current caret position. This way, the command can be invoked anywhere within a specifier provided no other non-whitespace characters appear before the specifier definition
  • Added UINTERFACE
  • Added 2 links at the bottom of the editor window that open the doc page for the current specifier, and the other opens documentation for metadata specifiers (no tooltips for now, sorry!)
  • Fixed configuration saving and loading. You will now be able to safely edit (add/remove) specifiers and/or rearrange their order at your leisure in the Options dialog of Visual Studio (meta specifiers cannot be modified currently)
  • Fixed editor not respecting upper/lowercase letters in edit values (e.g. the value for Category would always be lowercase no matter what you had entered)
  • Existing specifiers can now be parsed regardless of case (so ‘category’, ‘CATEGORY’, and ‘Category’ will be parsed the same, although the editor will still do first upper case letter when generating it)
  • Fixed build compatibility problem with 1.3 that did not allow the extension to work properly in VS2017 in some cases

Enjoy. :slight_smile: And as usual, any feedback is welcome.

Man, thanks for the tool, you’ve made the tool I always wanted to make myself.

Can you add a sorting option for the global specifiers? I like my Category going first.

As another option optional - make Generate and Edit specifier a one option
And one other great option - add generators for DELEGATES and MUTLICAST_DELEGATES a

Also UCLASS have more options like
UCLASS(config=game, hidecategories=(Actor, Advanced, Display, Events, Object, Attachment, Info, Input, Blueprint, Layers, Tags, Replication), showcategories=(Rendering, “Input|MouseInput”, “Input|TouchInput”), notplaceable)
check AWorldSettings

Also configuration of property naming and ordering is not working until vs restart.
And can you tell where you save that configuration to share it between different users.

Also this line
UPROPERTY(BlueprintReadWrite, Category = “Item: Tooltip”)
produce

Microsoft Visual Studio

Index was outside the bounds of the array.

OK

Also MultiLine should be
meta = (MultiLine=true)
not just MultiLine, otherwise it will not work.

Great work, you are the hero.

I absolutely love this tool and have used it for a few years now. Is there any chance for VS 2019 support? Im struggling to live without it

Hey everyone!

It’s been quite a long time since I’ve posted, and I really apologize for that and the lack of any updates or anything.

I think I’ll try to just get right to the point: there has not been any serious progress on this plugin since the last update, due to a low interest in UE4 projects at this time (for me). Additionally, my toolset is not keeping up quite as much now as my current employer is unlikely to upgrade things any time soon (e.g. won’t be switching to VS2019 for now, as an example), and any other side projects I still intend to work on also do not need to change toolsets.

As such, considering my lack of interest in working on this currently, coupled with advancing toolsets and the need to try to keep this plugin up to date, I have finally conceded to just open the source code up to the public as it would be better for others to maintain and improve on it than I currently can myself.

So, in all it’s rather ugly glory, here is the source to the plugin at my github repository: [SOURCE CODE]]()

Please keep in mind that this ultimately was my first real trek into .NET, so I wouldn’t be surprised if there are…questionable coding choices found within. If I knew what I do now, back then, this plugin would probably have been far better!

If you do choose to fork it, there are probably a couple starting points to work on and some ideas that could be integrated such as:

• Custom configuration section(s); the existing configuration piece is pretty terrible and was based off some silly example found on an older microsoft document, but now being aware of the existence of custom configuration sections (and how to make them), such a system would have been much, much better to use instead.
  • Better control creation; from what I recall, the current code that cycles through specifier tags and creates controls for them is a fair bit cumbersome and not exactly the best. Some kind of factory class would likely be simpler to work with and easier to modify.
  • A way to customize the dialogs in some fashion would probably be useful
  • Bug fixes or feature improvements mentioned in posts within this thread

Also, if you’re making your own version, do be kind enough to credit my original work (as: , but my handle works fine as well) as one could expect. :wink:

Thanks all and happy coding.

Thank you so much for all the hard work you put into this plugin, I don’t know how many people use it but I find myself recommending it to every unreal programmer I speak too. Iv not tried my hand at .Net or VS Extensions but im gonna take a stab at it anyway to have a go. All credit will be given if I manage to tweak it and still get it to compile (which im a bit doubtful about. xD).

Thank you so much for releasing this. This is a great tool.

I’ve forked the project and made some changes to get it installing in VS 2019.
For anyone interested, it’s available here: Releases · justdeth/VS-SpecifierTool · GitHub

Hi @patience, will the plugin get updated for Visual Studio 2019?
Hope to hear new updates soon :slight_smile:

Thanks Deth, I’ll give it a go and let you know if I come across any oddities!

Read the comment just above yours :stuck_out_tongue:

How to install the tool with VS2019. I love the tool with VS2017, so I want to use it with 2019. I downloaded the package from github.
How do I install it in VS2019?

Greetings from the Netherlands

Hi!
Seems like a really great tool!
@patience ,will it be available for Visual Studio 2019 too? :slight_smile: