Something odd I noticed in the UE 5 reveal trailer.

I recently got to watch the Unreal Engine 5 reveal trailer: ‘Lumen in the land of Nanite’.

Even though I had a suspension that the technology was going to head in this direction, I wasn’t expecting it this early, or to this extent. And as a hobbyist developer I am very impressed and excited for the future.

There was something that I found a bit odd though. Here is a s screen snipping of the fully rendered demo:

I see a character creating a nice silhouette in the foreground. But, in the image below, of the ‘triangles’ rendered by Nanite, there is no character.

Am I seeing it wrong? Or did anyone else also notice it?

Is it just for the demonstration that only the environment is displayed in the post processing material that is showcasing the ‘triangles’ rendered by Nanite? Or is it that Nanite only renders the static/rigid meshes with this technique, with the skeletal/deformable meshes still being rendered using more traditional methods with LODs, Normal Maps, Shadowmaps… etc.?

Maybe I am completely overthinking this.

Only the engine developers know at this point xD

I don’t think it’s odd at all. I had assumed it was for static meshes only. The character looked very bland. Otherwise they would have featured humans as the focal point and said “look at this billion triangle, hyper realistic face”.

The Nanite technology is great, I love it. Something so good like this happens one time every 15 years. Indie developers and big companies will save time and money. Next games will have much better art quality. Nanite will change the industry forever.

However I also want to know if the skeletal meshes will be rendered using Nanite, or if it’s not possible, or if it will be possible in the future. It would be perfect.

I don’t recall they saying it would work with skeletal meshes?!
Gotta watch it again…

I mean it’s not that big an issue since you can’t really do 20 quadrintillion triangles for skeletal meshes anyway, your riggers and animators might not like that.

Pretty sure it’s only for static meshes. From what I got, only one instance of a mesh is loaded into memory and the source triangles is then pass to renderer and only renders what is needed at a time. You can have a billion triangles as source triangles but only 20-40 million will be out put to the screen. I don’t see how this would work with skeletal meshes.