ShooterGame Third/First Person Tutorial, Having trouble getting it to work!

Has anybody recently followed this tutorial? A new, community-hosted Unreal Engine Wiki - Announcements and Releases - Unreal Engine Forums

I’m struggling to get it to work at all, I’ve followed it religiously, but no matter what I try I can’t seem to not use the third person camera auto-magically. Is it compatible with 4.6?

If not, anybody know a better way to go about this? Thanks :slight_smile:

That tut seems very complicated… I use one model and one camera for both views, and a socket on the head which I attach camera to when I switch views (from CameraBoom).

I can also scroll view by adjusting the TargetArmLength on CameraBoom and call the function to swap views when the arm length go below a certain treshold.

If you still wanna use an FPS mesh for first person view, I guess there should be some way of hiding it, without disabling skeleton. Or you can just attach to FPS mesh in stead…

EDIT: I also had a problem getting the view to work at game start. I had to move the function call that set the initial view from constructor to BeginPlay.

Seems like you’re right, I think I’m better off using an initial camera where the eyes are for FPS view, then swapping it’s location based on the button I press. No matter what I do, the third-person camera is used by default.

Strictly speaking I don’t think I have any reason to replicate that behaviour either. I’ll try a different approach, thanks!

I went through this tutorial today and it worked fine with 4.6.1 so you must have missed something out.

I was implementing it with my own code, but I went ahead and did a version of my own and it works a lot more reliably, so doesn’t matter now :slight_smile: