Support thread - shooter bp project

@Starkium

I’m making progress, but I don’t have a date to give you, unfortunately.

I concur, and wont even mention, the extra work for character customization. I’ve always used 3P for FP because the simplicity to manage and its how we’re designed in nature after all.

This is true, so one has to innovate ways to get cool 3P effect with full-body 1P. I do it with a little camera magic. For example, Reloading. If I’m to do it in real-life, I need to look down at my weapon to thru the process of swapping out magazines because of weapon weight and using hand/arms to do two different things. Its not very natural to hold a weapon in front up right and change a magazine.

I personally think we should be using High Detail on 3P nowadays and let the engine handle the LOD optimizing, You can get up close and personal to on characters opposite of yourself, which makes seeing those little details gratifying.

Man I was having a hell of a time trying to align third person and first person lean so what I see would be exactly what the other person saw when I leaned around a corner :slight_smile:

Its been said that two heads are better than one, not true for FPS Design. LOL.

Good points… I’ll probably have a more solid opinion at the end of next update, when I’ll have completed all replication, animations, etc, for the full-body 1P character. But I tend to agree with you, except not so much regarding looking down for reloading. IRL, yes, you’re right. But, in-game, having the camera “fight” the player to force him to look in some direction can feel unnatural. For ultimate realism I guess you’d have to go into VR, as trying to compensate for some limitations with the mouse and keyboard could end up with an opposite effect in realism…

VR takes a whole new mindset with movement controls. Im not a big fan of teleporting in FPS, unless its on rails with Gallery shooter style mechanics. It could be just me, as Ive been using Gamepads, and M/K all my life. This is another area that could benefit from innovation.

In regards to reloading, I blend several cinematic camera movements for different events, Reloading is one of them. The players knows that when they invoke weapon reloading they will have to look downward at the weapon to do it and it doesn’t fill that unnatural, As a mechanic, It takes your eye off targets, leaving you vulnerable, which means you need to find cover to do it, if you don’t want to get shot.

I treat the camera as independently controlled system, using the Character head/neck for ‘home-base’ mounting. Thus, it can transition to cinematic Cameras and Rails then, return-to-base afterwards.

I found some decent 1p result by mounting camera to a spring arm thats mounted to the head/neck socket of 3p character. The spring arm allows you to insert lag, for a quick stabilizing hack. One can then dial up the lag or procedurally adjust to get Steadycam smoothness. You can deactivate for a rough jittery hand-held feel.

@TechLord

Yes, I guess VR has it’s own limitaitons that hurt realism too. I have almost no experience at all playing VR, but I imagine that moving arount in the level must be quite immersion breaking.

Regarding the camera movements for reloading, I guess if you have a nice camera system, this can be very cool. It can probably add a tactical element to the game…

I like adding Tactics in subtle ways. The 3D Camera is one of the most powerful aspects of 3D, too bad most games under utilize it by locking the player in a specific perspective. I’m going away from that.

Product updated (see change log)

Wow, thank you very much for that awesome update. Finally there’s a pack with with true first person and one animation set.

**FPS Assemblable Gun **is missing from the Marketplace.

@TechLord

Yes, I want to make some changes and it will come back after that. In the meantime you’ll keep receiving the updates on your Epic launcher normally.

For some reason, i do not see it in my launcher, that is how i noticed it was missing in the marketplace.

Please check if it appears under the new name “Shooter Gun System”. I changed the product’s name from “FPS Assemblable Gun” because it’s now TPS too, not just FPS.

Although in my launcher it still appears under the old name. Please tell me so I can check with Epic if there’s any issue going on.

(I guess at some point I’ll have to change the title of this thread too, to reflect the new product’s name)

Unfortunately, No Content Found. Browse and Search the Unreal Engine Marketplace - UE Marketplace

@TechLord

I was referring to your launcher’s vault. It’s not in the store at this moment, but it should be in your vault, as it’s in other people’s vault (that I talked to) and also in mine. Please tell me if it’s not in your vault, so I can contact Epic…

Its was back as FPS Assemblable Gun after restart (logon/logoff) the epic launcher, but disappeared. Dont think the launcher like the name change.

Hi @TechLord ,

It seems that the issue causing this glitch was resolved, please check your vault again. Apparently, releasing updates while the product isn’t available at the store require some extra steps on my part to avoid this.

If it’s still not appearing in your vault now, you’ll need to contact Epic directly, please:

https://marketplacehelp.epicgames.com/s/marketplace-case-form?language=en_US

Thank you

Product updated (see change log)

Hi, do you have a tutorial on how getting started with your product ?